Car weights!!

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by I V - mk1 16v, Jan 22, 2006.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

get on with it, how long you been off the tracks??

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Interesting weights at the begining of this thread... I've got my MK1down to 742kg's (or it was until they did'nt like my lightweight rear seat, now back to 748), weighed on corner weight scales.

Std GTi shell with f/g bonnet & tailgate plus removedrear wiper/lock + bonnet catch/cable, swapped twin light to single grill,race battery (saved 7kg's), no carpet/soundproofing, removed inner floor sound deadening pads, lower dash/consel, 2x lightweight front seats, removed underseal from front inner arch/wing, no rear inner bumper bar (plastic outer mounted on 2 ally strips), front inner bumper bar drilled (-1.5 kg's !), removed servo & cross linkage (14kg's), Tubular manifold no doubt lighter than std iron manifold, 2.5 Supersprint system, twin DCOE's in-place of all the k-jet stuff (stripped out relevent bits of loom). Still has underfloor/rear arch underseal, heater/all glass/door cards/window reg's and runs on 14" P-slots (6kg's) and NO cage. Weighed with all engine fliuds and around 4-ltrs of fuel. Think thats all the important bits.

Hope this may help some of you "strippers" out there !

Edited by: mr hillclimber

3. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Great info there hillclimber! :clap:

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

How much does your cages weigh peeps? & do they make a lightweight version that still has the same strength or 75% of it?

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Yr welcome... forgot to mention also that mine's an 8v, so obviously another weight advantage over you 16v chaps. Plus a few kg's saved with lighter engine internals (flywheel/valve train/skimmed head+blocketc), it all adds up. Steel bonnet weigh's 14kg's (from memory),saved around 8kg's going to the fibreglass one. Tailgate was only a couple of kg's lighter, would'nt buy another as youshould be able to get that out of the steel one as all the weights in the glass (6 kg from memory)

Got the corner weights written somewhere, high 150's-low 160's rear/215-220's front, i'll try and dig em out.

Think a 6-point bolt-in cage is about 27-30 kg's, was told by Rollcentre a MK1 weld-in cage is around 35-40 kg's.

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

I didn't know there was much weight difference between an 8v & a 16v engine?

7. steved Forum Member

Right i'm going to start stripping the wheelarch underseal, Remove the rooflining and deframe the Bonnet and doors that should get me down to 845kgs.

I will keep you posted

8. iguana Forum Member

Yip in the heads & inlet mani (assuimg still K ket not gone carbs/Tbs) never weighed em but significant weight diference when you pick em up.

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Its prob not a huge difference, 8v head proba bit lighter (smaller), a camshaft/chain/gear, 8 valves/collets/lifters (tho smaller dia) that sort of thing, just all adds up.

Snap ! (sort of) :lol:

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Found em (or the wife did, eight inch's from my nose !)...

LF-264 RF-247

LR-115 RR-138

Total - 764 (weighed before i took out the servo/cross linkage & fittedthe race battery)

With me on board.... (+84 kg's [:^(])

LF-271 RF-283

LR-120 RR174

Total - 848

Yes there is a big difference side to side at the rear, we put it down to a possible slight twist in the roll bar or something causing it to bind up praps ? [:s]Will re-check now i've fitted an Eibach rear.

Hope this helps.

11. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

Amazing.

In the wet you could be forgiven for thinking it's dry! I haven't tried them on a dry track yet though. Mine are medium softs. Done quite a lot of fast road work and they seem to be wearing quite well, better than I expected...

Brunty

12. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Cheers Brunty, i might a give a set of those a go for the ring.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Check whether the side-walls are E-marked.

Barny's Colway Formula 2's weren't and the 'Ring guys picked up on it - wouldn't let him run on them.

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Great minds :lol:

15. altern8 Forum Junkie

my cage weighs 27kg

16. barny Forum Member

Couldn't believe how polite he was about it though! Fair enough, if i'd had an accident ( which i did but no one saw it !) on "illegal" tyres on a "public" road i'd of been shafted by the german law !

17. GVK

It's a shame, because the day before you asked one marshal and he said it was fine "jah, no problem" [:s]

18. iguana Forum Member

Flicking through some old CCC mags earlier & interesting ref a couple of cars corner weighted in the clinic-

1= Mk2 XR2 track car, 1.6 cvh, still with glass, dash, door panels, & srock tail gate- still with wash wipe! :) (bonnet maybe GRP) 2 race seats=

741 Kg

2= Mk1 Golf 8v road saloon (steve kirks dads) complete roa car full trim- but driver race seat, cage, pirreli P 14 inchers=

864 Kg

if its useful the Golf weights were

61%
    ^
    264kg< > 264kg

168kg< > 168kg

^
    39%

XR2

46%
    ^
    246.5< >245.5

108.0< >141.0

^
    54%

Looking at those figs tho, I can't belive the Golf figs, just match up too perfectly, an error surely?

No mention of fuel load in either of them tho

19. GVK

Interesting stuff Al,keeping those old car mags can be useful mate :p

20. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Yeah, they do look a bit TOO perfect [:s], if it was weighed without a driver it would be fair bit out with (a driver). Not impossible though i s'pose.Thats the car with the multi colour shapes on it is'nt it ?