Car weights!!

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by I V - mk1 16v, Jan 22, 2006.

1. iguana Forum Member

Yeh thats the one & multi coloured wheels

2. barny Forum Member

Ahh well nevermind, it was a top couple of days !

3. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

My ibiza:
    Weights are as follows of their corner weights from 18months ago:-
    Left front 814lb left rear 500lb
    Right front 923lb right rear 574lb

weight of bits removed from car and checked on me bath scales this evening. (neighbors think I'm bonkers - LOL)

42lb in crap (no spare wheel after all! Woops) and 224lb in me... lard a4se..

266lb to nett of cars total weighed 2811lb = 2545lb = 1157Kg - Listed as being 1119Kg in official literature... Yea Right!

Near full tank of fuel

Car is caged, has anti roll bars (phat), minimal interior, retains aircon and CD changer

Car weighed a couple of months ago and was 1127kg, with aircon removed, and ABS. Still had its CD changer :lol: Now gone however. as is rear wiper, passenger seat, rear trim, rear speakers and pods, carpets. and it goes on. Sensible road car and look what I have done to it. [:s]
    Edited by: badger-bill

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

........And my work mate's think I'M bonkers for doing what I'm doing to a 15 yr old car :lol:

Sod 'em I say ;) :p :thumbup:
    Edited by: GVK

5. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

I believe they are.

Brunty

6. iguana Forum Member

Ok been meaning to weigh my car for about a yr & finaly got round to it! [:$]

So public weigh bridge used, dunno about accuracy but wasnt 'that far out at my weight when i was in & out the car vs my weight on home scales- about 10kg dif, could be my home scales are out of course! :lol: but generally they are for measuiring 30+ton trucks, (no not my scales that is- just fat lizards!) so maybe a few kg out is not that important? But its DOT licened & calibrated anyway so duno accuacy factor.

So car= Mk2 valver so basically body wise a stock small bumper valver except- no underfloor sound deadening matting (but still all interior tar & underseal etc) no rear trim or spare wheel etc but does still have front carpet/headliing/all glass/sunroof/central locking/lecky windows/all origial steel panels & lardy VW seats (20kg each!!) & a heavy roll cage- est 35+kg oh & plus heavy Eibach ARBs must weigh another 10-15kg minimum or so over stock, heavy bugger diesel starter motor. Eibacks with Eibachs non coilies

Oiled & fluids drivable Fuel- bit of a pain I ment to brim it but, didnt magange to, & needle was just on the white line before the red- maybe 10L?? 15L?

Anyway result was-

Drum roll please.

980kg

A lad who worked at the yard saw me weighing it & said he had a Mk3 8v *ahem* anyway he had put it on the same weighbridge but minus engine & front subframe (& thus i guess minus gearbox too tho he didnt say) & said it came out at 1000kg?

Never met the fella before, but still thats what he said, so make of that what you will

Edited by: iguana

7. GVK

So, your car with cage is lighter than mine without? Hmmm.

If anyone's at Donny at any time, they've got a new weighbridge in the paddock I've read on another forum.

8. prof Forum Addict

224lb Bill, this will make you sonsiderably faster mate

6 pack soon come

9. vrbanana Forum Junkie

try this bill..... my sort of 6 pack :lol:

[​IMG]

got the Limo down to 700kg's by cutting the roof off :lol: got a feeling the banana is going to be a bit hefty[8(] even without me in it, its going to look like a Swiss cheese if Im going to get it to any reasonable sort of weight

donny does have a weigh bridge, its where you join the track while the garages are being rebuilt, not sure how or if it works but Ive seen a few messing with it, Ill have a look as I think Ill be down watching over the next few weeks

10. prof Forum Addict

have you thought of amputation Daz, should be easy to lose a few kgs :lol:

11. vrbanana Forum Junkie

yes but Ive not seen you for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. GVK

13. steved Forum Member

Got mine down to 854kgs now after removing the roof lining and glovebox, Only 54kgs to go.

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

whats left in it now steve?

15. steved Forum Member

Not a lot, The bonnet is the only weighty thing on the car, I could use my fibre glass one but because i have the bonnet raised at the back fibreglass tends to flex to much so i'm going to remove the inner frame.

16. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

How about glassing-in a length of ally tube (or angle)somewhere along the rear edge to firm it up (presuming it flex's along the back) or if its a single skin an Xon the centre or something, 20/25mm dia ?

Good weight for a MK2 with a cage.
    Edited by: mr hillclimber

17. steved Forum Member

I've found that these fibreglass bonnets are quite weak, The back corner is missing allready. Is there any easy way to remove the inner frame?

18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I would have thought it almost impossible to seperate the inner frame from the outer skin without damaging/scrapping it, you can easily re-build the corner with some fibre-glass (had to re-create the front corner of mine after a heavy OFF last year!... a steel bonnet would have been scrapped).

Have you got a "grill" along the rear edge like the standard one? is it cut out if you have ?

If you remove the inner frame from a steel bonnet i would think its gunna flex like the fibre-glass one.

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I'v removed inner frame on a corrado bonnet, and yes, was flexing allot

didnt seem much lighter either [:s]

20. prof Forum Addict

make a cardboard top hat section in an x under your fibreglass bonnet, then glass over the top, it'll not weigh much but will be loads stiffer