Car won’t start

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, May 6, 2023.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

IMG_5649.jpeg Hi folks,

just done basic service on car and now it won’t start. Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs and pollen filter. Not sure if I’ve knocked something when getting old oil filter off.

money thing that looks strange is the ignition coil. Like it’s melted a bit. It is red hot to touch too after trying to start car for a while. Car is 8v agg Gti.

Any help appreciated.

Paul

2. paulm2322

IMG_5650.jpeg Just had AA out. Coil has completely burnt out! Just ordered replacement off eBay. Just a coincidence that I serviced car as coil decided to break on me.

3. watercooled Forum Member

Bloody things I hate them,had one fail during a serious weather event ,got the car started again after a while and limped home slowly ,coil was very hot and due for meltdown,swapped out for spare and ran for many years till I sold the car.
    Failure of these isn't really dependent on mileage as my car only had 70k miles on it ,read that some fail but not all,my mate had a VW shop and mentioned he hadn't sold too many of them.

paulm2322 likes this.
  4. paulm2322

All fixed! New coil fitted and started first time. Happy it was only the coil and nothing I did when servicing car!