Carburetor to 8v gti swap

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Mk2 driver 1800, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Hi thinking about replacing my carb engine with an 8v gti lump preferably a 2.0 mk3 wondering what I'll need to replace to do this will i need to wire in an electric pump or use a new fuel tank mines a 91 driver so pretty sure the loom just plugs in how does the brake booster work as It runs of the inlet manifold on my engine.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Brake servo is supplied with vacuum from the gti manifold. Mk2 8v GTI has 2 electric pumps, one in tank, low pressure, and a high pressure external one. Both at the rear.
    Iirc a mk3 just has an in tank pump.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for an easy life try to get a donor mk3, then you'll have everything you need. as Tristan says the mk3 just has the 1 pump in the tank which will all swap over, the mk3 setup will also work fine with a mk2 digifant engine if you decide to go that route.

if you dont have room for a donor car any mk3 petrol car will do as a donor for the tank, lines, rear wiring loom and fuel filter carrier then you just drop a gti, 16v or vr6 pump in to finish. up front you could get away with just the engine and wiring loom, your old gearbox will fit though the ratios will be a bit rubbish.

can use a mk1/2/3 gti gearbox, but may have to swap the shafts depending what its got. the 88 on 1.8 driver has 100mm shafts so a gti box would swap right over.

if its a 1.6 you'll also want to source a mk2 1.8 flywheel (any engine will do) and a 210mm clutch matched to the gearbox you end up with

Tristan likes this.
  4. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Thanks for the reply m8 I know it's the best way but I'd be reluctant to brake a mk3 golf unless it was a real shed does anyone know if a facet fuel pump would be enough to run a gti engine on its own

5. rubjonny

so long as its the right spec, digifant pump is rated 75l/hr @3 bar

6. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Hi again I've decided to fit a 1.8 DX from an early mk2 GTi I've had this engine for a while but it was going to go in my dads 1.3 mk2 but he's decided to keep his stock as it runs spot on I know this should be quite an easy swap bit unsure on the wiring that would be needed and if it can be fitted as I have the later fusebox does anyone know if kjet can be used with a facet pump set to the right pressure.

7. rubjonny

main issue if you have a ce2 fusebox is there is no ce2 kjet 8v wiring loom available. so you either need to convert the engien to digifant using digi ce2 engine loom or re-wire a kjet ce1 loom to ce2. also need to add a pin to the fusebox from rev counter to one of the G1 pins so the kjet fuel relay will work

Mk2 driver 1800 likes this.
  8. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Ok cheers m8 might just fit it with the carburetor instead as much of a shame it would be to ditch the injection I think my original engine is in need of a rebuild now after being run low on oil been a bad few weeks which started with me cracking my sump on a kerb and have had issue with leaks since fitting a new sump myself in a rush to get to work I've been topping it up but managed to run low enough to put the oil light on once and have since noticed a drop in power