changing turbo on 16yr old passat tdi

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Ditchyboy, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Hi,

A guy at work has just had his turbo go on him in his tdi passat estate that is 16years old (thats what he told me anyway) and i was wondering if there was likely to have been anymore damage caused by driving the 4 miles home or if it will just need a new turbo?
    Are these easy to fit as he was on about scrapping it and might be interested in taking it off his hands, he says its in decent condition for a work horse with a few bits of rust around the front arches.
    Also what engine is in it? is it any other vws and/or what code is the turbo so i can look for one on ebay or somewhere.
    Any help on how hard it is and how much a 2nd hand turbo would be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. turbotommy Forum Member

So its a 1996 passat? engine code is what you need to know,its probably AHU or 1Z,never had a problem removing the turbo's off one (done 6 of them) never even snapped a bolt,just go easy with plenty WD40. access in the biggest problem and the EGR bolts are a **** as they don't get the heat like the turbo ones do.

3. Collie Forum Junkie

Depends on if any of the turbo impellers have managed to get to the cylinders?, has it drunk all the oil and goosed the engine too? Used turbos are abit of a dodgy area you may get lucky or you may get one that lasts a day its a lottery.