Cigarette lighter removal. Mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Cressa, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

How the heck do I remove the cigarette lighter socket from the centre console. I have twisted, pulled, pushed and still no joy.
    And where are people getting a decent replacement from?

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Ive just tried to remove one from a MK3 which seemed impossible too. I gave up. We have taken the centre console out of the MK2, I'll have a look at it this evening to see if I can manage that one. Don't hold your breath but I'm sure someone will come up with the easy way.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

May possibly be a clip on the rear, but not 100%
    On a side note when I had to replace the missing one in my bmw mini they were £15+ on ebay second hand or 3 quid for main and 2 for clip from BMW new, perhaps vw may be worth a shot?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the way you do it is remove the bulb holder from the side, then look for the metal clips that hold the middle section into the outer plastic surround. pull the inner part thru the middle of the plastic surround, then the surround pops right out

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Removal as per RJ. What is wrong with yours? Spares are available from the use VW places like Heritage etc.

6. PhilRyder

Well I just spent 20 minutes trying to do this. I'm normally pretty good at this sort of thing but I am willing to say that I failed. I managed to get the bulb holder off but there don't seem to be metal clips holding the centre part in. The best I could see were two parts of the green surround that protrude slightly through the inner metal casing which look like they should push back to release the casing. I could not push them back nor pull the metal casing over them. I have stopped as I did not want to damage anything.

7. PhilRyder

Just watched a Utube vid. Would you believe there is a special VW tool for the job. I was right, you have to push the two protruding knobs outward to release the metal casing. Not worth it unless yours is completely fubarred.

8. PhilRyder

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

keep at it, done a few now no special tool required ;)

the first time is always hard, after that once you get the knack of it no problem :lol:

10. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

WHAT THE.....a tool that is worth more than the Centre console
    If it can be done, then I won't give up. This is harder to undo than my engine mounts!!
    Thanks for the tips

PhilRyder likes this.
  11. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

A special tool does seem rather unnecessary, when what's needed is to release locating tangs in the metal insert, which pop out into gaps in the plastic surround. 'Persuade' these to clear the edges of the gaps, and the metal insert slides out.

PhilRyder likes this.
  12. PhilRyder

That's not how mine works. In mine the pl astic outer has two inserts into the metal outer and these need to be pushed back simultaneously to clear the metal.

13. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry, I was posting simply from memory, and could well be mistaken.

14. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Sorted. I saw the plastic locking pins so bent the metal behind them so it could slide out. Easy enough to fo a repair but I wanted it out to replace.
    Thanks for all the top tips everyone