Clacking noise on cold start up.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Rustbuster, May 21, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    If I leave my 16v KR overnight on start up she fires straight into life with a lively (no throttle applied by me) blip up to 2000 rpm. Problem is, as she does there’s an fairly intense clacking sound that lasts about 1 second only. I’m thinking that the noise is a worn hydraulic valve lifter that’s losing its oil so has a little “moment” to itself until oil pressure is restored on start-up. Two questions for the tech gurus, does this cause any harm to the engine, ie, should I be looking to replace all 16 sooner rather than later? And secondly, what controls that enthusiastic start up to 2000rpm? Is there anyway of lowering this to a more gentle wake-up as I feel I need to switch off the key soon as she fires so not to do that initial, stone cold Rev and clank? Thanks guys.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

It only blips up to 2000rpm for start, like I’ve got my foot on the gas a bit but I ain’t, then immediately drops to a more sensible 1000rpm it’s just that initial 2000rpm can I tweek that to be lower anyhow?
    And thanks, I’d forgotten about the ATF trick, I may give it a go next oil change, I’ll have a think about it.

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

My old 16V developed a start-up rattling/clatter, I started using fully synthetic on it as opposed to the semi-synth, never did it again for as long as I owned it.

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

The 1st D reg 16v I had (back in 1999) used to do the same, made me wince every cold start, never got to the bottom of why it did it.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  6. Rustbuster

I’ll try fully synth then, and still looking into the ATF trick.
    And GVK, yes, I do the same, sounds harsh as on the engine. Did you replace your hydraulic lifters in fault finding the noise? Any other things you eliminated would be useful too as I try to diagnose it. Ta!

7. watercooled Forum Member

I have fixed many higher mileage mk2's by changing the oil several times to stop the clatter,never had any luck with any of the "so called " remedys one being using atf,worst thing to use is lifter flush ,the stuff makes the problem worse.

8. Tristan

My 8v got rattley twice, both times a 50:50 cheap 10w40 and ATF mix for half an hour seemed to stop the rattle. Obviously then drained and refilled with good oil..
    It had 200k on the clock

9. Rustbuster

Thanks guys for your thoughts and tips on this. I think I’ll try the ATF trick, then switch to fully synthetic oil and if that doesn’t help replace the lifters next time I do the timing belt as they’re aren’t going to break the bank.

10. GVK

I meant I tried a few things to stop it revving at 2k on start up but never fixed it.

11. Rustbuster

Thanks GVK. I’m wondering if it might be the resting position of the airflow plate because they do specs do have a very precise point for this and I’ve never been able to figure out why that would be. I try a few things too and see if I can get anywhere. Cheers

12. Rustbuster

Disconnected the wiring for the 5th injector and it starts much more gently with that out of the circuit. Takes a bit more cranking but doesn’t blip up to 2000rpm but can’t leave it off cos as I understand it provides a bit more fuel at full throttle setting so would be down a few bhp there which know one wants. Maybe I’ll try a different 5th injector if I can find one.

13. Tristan

You could put a switch on it?
    Though it would suggest an issue elsewhere though... Like the WUR

14. GVK

Try setting up the base idle as per Rubjonny's set up 16v guide

Pity you can't look inside the ISV when it fires up to see if its flat out open.

15. Rustbuster

Thought about the ISV and I do have a spare which I think I’ll swap over to see what difference that makes. I’ll let you know if it does anything.

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I believe its supposed to do the rev up thing to aid cold start, though not exactly sure what process makes it do that. perhaps the ISV control unit

with the clacky lifters do an oil flush and refill with good 10w40 semi-synth, and make sure you use a genuine VW or MANN filter with built in non-return valve which stops the oil draining out the head

Rustbuster likes this.
  17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

One of my 16v engines always used to rev up and one didnt. the one which reved fired up nicer than the one that didnt :lol:

18. Rustbuster

It’s certainly an enthusiastic start alright. So maybe I should just leave well alone. Start messing with it and next is it won’t start. RJ, are you an advocate of the ATF flush or could you recommend a good off the shelf product? Ta! I phoned VW parts to see if they still do the lifters. Good news is they do, bad news is 16 will set me back £630! I’ll defo try I flush first.

19. H8V

h8v Forum Member

20. Rustbuster

Good man! Thank you.