Compulsory insurance for SORN'd cars?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by stella, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Another major problem, which will amost certainly effect innocent motorists, is that the MIB database will probably be used as the source of information for uninsured cars, as this database is maintained by countless employees at countless insurance companies it can never be a 100% reliable source of information. Plenty of properly insured motorists are getting thier cars seized on a daily basis due to the fact that their insurers have failed to update the MIB database, now that don't even need to be caught driving the vehicle I'm sure this will increase.

Secondly this legislation will do absolutely nothing to stop the majority of uninsured drivers who generally know the system inside out & will have simply have registered their vehicle in a false name/address, or not registered it at all, and will continue to drive with impunity.

The whole thing is another knee jerk reaction to try to cover the fact that the Police simply don't have the time and manpower to deal effectively with uninsured drivers and as usual it is the innocent who are inconvenienced by it. Although it is also fair to say that as the general opinion on this forum is that the Police shouldn't actually be stopping motorists in the first place I don't quite see how uninsured drivers are to be caught.

2. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

yes this will only get the usually law abiding motorist who is traceable, and will pay the fine, the million untraceable illegals or such like driving with absolutely no documents will just move and buy another old banger.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So really what Gaz has now highlighted is a THIRD piece of admin, in addition to the tax & insurance SORN admin, which is to check whenever updating your insurance, that your car is on the MIB database and has not been mis-keyed by some young adminner in an insurance brokers.... in order that is to avoid a disrupted journey - one which is bound to be at the least convenient of times - with the Police accusing you of driving without insurance!

Greaaaat!!! [8(]

4. m1keh Forum Member

You missed the point, I don't want to return my tax disc and sorn the car then a week later have to pay for a full 6 or 12 months of tax again when i have the money to reinsure my car. Probably having to pay for a few weeks of tax that I had already bought as the tax refunds only work to the nearest month.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Andy947 Forum Addict

Chances of it happening are extremely unlikley

Plus, if you do get pulled, they just call the insurance co up and verify the cover and away you go.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

^^ "Plenty".

It's an excuse to pull in a car, and we all know about targets and the odd bit of aggressive Policing. No insurance and a marginal accompanying offence could see you away with insurance proven, and a ticket/fine etc for something else. I'd sooner not be pulled in at all thanks :thumbup:

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Define "plenty"

[:[]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

More than 'rare' or 'occasional'.

That's enough for it to be something worth checking is in order :thumbup:

If, as I suspect, all you want is an argument, start a separate thread and I'll be along shortly ;)

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

utter garbage

I don't know a single person who has ever been pulled for no insurance cos they aint on the database.

Very much Highly Unlikely!

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

And are you the Police? How would you know significantly better than the originator of the statement above?

As above, if you want an argument, start a separate thread. If you don't, I'll just split this one.

11. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

26 last year in my area, all of whom had their cars seized & had to pay 100+ for them to be released and these were ALL properly insured motorists who were unfortunate enough to be insured by a variety of insurers all of whom had failed to update the MIB database resulting the seizure of said vehicles.

Whilst you may not consider 26 to be excessive I'm sure you wouldn't lioke to be one of those 26 people deprived of the use of their vehicles & 100 through no fault of their own.

Persoanlly I don't see that the Police have reasonable grounds to seize a vehicle based on evidence supplied by an independant database that they KNOW to be inaccurate but they do it all the same

12. Tall Paul Forum Member

Must have got that fine back surely.

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

Get a grip. Gaz (and you) have clearly been watching too many episodes of traffic cops. . . .

There i NO WAY that it is common for your details not to be on the MID.

14. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Erm I dont need to watch it on TV:lol:

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

26 versus how many people drove past the ANPR without any incident? Hundreds of thousands / Millions?

Even if it were only 100000 cars who passed without incident, the percentage of drivers affected would be 26/100000 which is 0.00026% Which is pretty feckin insignificant.

The advise on MID is to pursue your insurance co for costs if they have failed. The insurance co legally have 1 week to input your details.

16. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

As I have already said would you be saying that if you were one of the 26?

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This could get quite entertaining actually.

Thread shortly to be renamed "Pedants Corner: 'plenty' - are you interested in a definition? Nothing to do with insurance and SORNs now"

18. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

It's not actually a fine, it's the recovery agent's costs & the Police won't refund it.

The only recourse is through your insurer but they won't compensate you for loss of use of the vehicle

19. m1keh Forum Member

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good news:

Under the new system:
    • - The DVLA will work in partnership with the Motor Insurers Bureau to identify uninsured vehicles
    • - Motorists will receive a letter telling them that their vehicle appears to be uninsured and warning them that they will be fined unless they take action
    • - If the keeper fails to insure the vehicle they will be given a 100 fine
    • - If the vehicle remains uninsured - regardless of whether the fine is paid - it could
      then be seized and destroyed.