Compulsory insurance for SORN'd cars?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by stella, Jan 16, 2011.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

So, basically...

[​IMG]

:lol:

2. StuMc

Err... [:$] :lol:

[​IMG]

3. danster Forum Addict

McStu the lightweight. [:$]

4. Whittle Forum Member

My mk1 is sorned, the only tax im paying is scene tax.

[​IMG]

5. StuMc

I`m down to just three now... [:$] :lol:

If I had the space I`d have plenty more, but the parking area has eight spaces to service seven flats, so having three of those to myself is taking the p*ss as it is! :lol:

6. mickey taker

mickey taker Forum Member

Government Announces Car Insurance Crackdown

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:30 am Post subject: bad news for all you car hoarders

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now we are going to have to insure our cars even if they are a project, sorn and not being used on the road.

Where will it all end.

read below

Tough new laws could make KEEPING an uninsured vehicle an offense, the Department for Transport has indicated.

Tough new car insurance laws have been proposed by the Department for Transport.

If the plans enter statute, it would be an offence to own or keep a car in the UK without appropriate car insurance. Existing legislation merely prohibits driving without car insurance.

Therefore, punishments for not taking out car insurance would be made tougher under the new laws - with drivers facing a 100 fine if they do not take out the protection when warned.

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

So now would be illegal to own a SORNed car and not insure it? What a joke.

Gurds

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

This excludes vehicles that are 'sorn' I presume?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Same sensationalist tripe story doing the rounds again from the skim read brigade, I suspect.

10. walkinginperu Forum Member

This doesn't apply to cars which are SORN'd, so projects etc that are certified off the road will not need insurance.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

12. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I heard about this on the news this morning. AFAIK if you're a keeper of a vehicle, that isn't on a SORN you'll get a letter asking you why it isn't insured. This gives you an oppotunity to ether

1) phone you insurance company and give them hell that they've not updated the central insurance database (quite common) which is better than getting a pull at 11pm and old bill towing your car (at your expense) and storing it (at your expense) until you can prove it's insured when your broker opens in the morning.

2) Sorn the collection of bits and primered shell you've got in the garage before the fines start pilling up.

3) Give you a warning to take your uninsured, death trap, rust bucket and scrap it before you end up in court.

There are other options of course, TBH I think this is good news that will maybe get a few more uninsured cars off the road and give a helpful warning to the 100's of people who have paid for their insurance and through no fault of their own are getting their cars seized at the moment.

13. mickey taker

mickey taker Forum Member

I still think you should have an insurance and mot disc displayed in your windscreen that would help stop cars being illegally used on the road to some extent.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Good idea except people will just either steal them or make copies. So visualy it'll look ok but on closer inspection it will be a fake.

15. jettamk2coupe Forum Member

I heard this today and although I think it will need some fine tuning, it seems on the face of it a good idea. I'm pretty sure there'll be options where the vehicle won't necessarily need insurance (ie if it's in bits being restored etc), from what I can make of it, it's if the vehicle isn't sorned and / or is still taxed but not insured, if that's the case they will write to registered keeper to ask the situation, if you don't respond or they suspect you are using it without valid insurance, they will automatically fine you and have the power to take your car off you. I don't think it's as black and white as the press are making out, it's just a way of the dvla / police keeping track of vehicles that would normally be off the radar, stopping people driving without insurance which i'm all for as my insurance costs me a bloody fortune for the various cars I have everywhere!

16. mexicorich Forum Member

ALL cars to need insurance?

I think I caught something on the radio yesterday about new rules requiring ALL cars to be insured whether being used or not

Can anyone educate me about this?

I can understand it's desirablity for society in general that everyone recorded as owning a car have it insured but for those of us like me who have half a dozen cars parked up out of use at any time, keeping them all simply isn't financially viable if they all have to be insured as if in use even when they are not

17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Not again!! Use the search. It's nothing.

18. mexicorich Forum Member

Yes have found out
    Nothing severe
    So long as the vehicle is declared SORN or off road before SORN was introduced, no insurance needed

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

France has that, it goes where the tax disc shouldn't be!

20. prof Forum Addict

they were on about this on TV, the fine for uninsured driving was 100

so insurance premium 1000, or fine for 100.... hmmm let me think