Coolant System

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ShaunyC, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Hey.. i'm trying to get my head around the cooling system..
    I have an AEB engine in a mk1 Golf, I unerstand the AGU is a very similar engine.. i've been through these 2 threads by Richard mk2 that was very helpfull What goes where 1 and What goes where 2
    So thought i'll get AGU pipes and fittings to make the longy engine work transverly.. but looking through VAG-CAT it seems it's not as easy as that..

So what i've done is read through the 2 differing diagrams to see what route's to what? the differences and compile my own set up.. I love making things complicated!! lol
    So.. This is what i'm seeing, tell me if wrong or stupid...

AEB:-
    Water pump side exit - through metal pipe withTee off for Water jacket - Engine end juction..

Water pump bottom exit -Rad bottom - Rad top - to metal pipe with Tee's off for Turbo supply,
    Breather to expansion tank, Water jacket - Engine end junction...

Notes-
    1/ Can't seem to suss where the matrix would plumb in? (at a guess a tee from each route to engine end or which ever route through matrix to engine end?
    2/ One of the main things to make sure is the breather is at the highest point of installation?

AGU:-
    Water pump side exit - through metal pipe with Tee's off for Turbo, Expansion tank, Water jacket - Juction (1)(1J0121087C) - Matrix

Water pump bottom exit - Rad botom - Rad top - Junction (1)

Engine end junction (2) off to Expansion top - metal pipe Tee - Engine end junction (2)

Junction (2) off to water jacket, matrix

Note's-
    1/ looks confusing(very!)
    2/ thinking for both i have it flowing the wrong way i.e. pump botom is an "inlet" of cold water?
    3/ On both the turbo retun's to the rear of the block

Hopefully someone will understand that and stare me clear of disatster..
    suppose i'm just asking for confirmation, adicve, opinions and do's and dont's.. or if anyone can explain it better than.. or even a link to good info i haven't found..

Thanx

P.s Have i just realised if i alter the metal pipe to make suit the side exit on my AEB pump the AGU system will work???

2. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

The AGU system didn't work!! lol

So this is what ive come up with...

[​IMG]

Couple pf points i've noticed..

1/ Expansion off the rad
    2/ Expansion wil fill back to a Y on the bottom rad hose?? Is there a better place.. its gona be abit tight down there anyway..
    3/ Oil cooler returns back to bottom of engine junction/fitting
    4/ The matrix, is it ok to take that side exit from the water pump through the matrix back to block or should it return straight to block and T off for matrix?? Where would the T's come from?
    5/ The throttle body warm up just get blanked off?
    6/ Is there anything i've missed or doesn't look right??

I think i've got abit of a visual in my head where to route it all but that side exit coming past the oil cooler might be a bit tight? Any pics or info would be apreciated :)

Cheers

3. DuBAndy Forum Member

Here's mine diagram I came up with. Looks the same except my expansion tank is built onto my rad...

[​IMG]

4. DuBAndy Forum Member

Mine's an AGU BTW...

5. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Hi Andy..

Thanx mate they look fairly similar :) Even got the direction of flow on yours which i was unsure about!? lol

Did you not use the botom exit for anything from the engine flange?

What did you get your rad from?? bet that looks abit neater than having an expansion bottle lying around :thumbup:

6. DuBAndy Forum Member

Well the diagram is only theory at the moment, hopefully will be done over xmas. After looking at the flange I may use bottom feed for the oil cooler, instead of Tee'ing off the top hose.

The rad I'm going use is off an BMW E30 318, with an expansion bottle on the side, however I've heard stories of problem bleeding the system as the bottle isn't the highest point. But I should beable to overcome this by jacking the front of the car, also the rad has a bleed hole on it. Fits well on a MK2. Just a could of small brackets welded to the front panel & a couple of small brackets below. Should be similar for a MK1.

7. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Haha.. theroy is all we have sometimes.. just hate it when it proves to be wrong :( Maybe somone who's been down this road before could shed a little light or confirmation on our drawings??

Ahh thought i'd not heard of a built in expansion/rad set up.. Sounds a good plan :) i'll leave that one with you though.. sounds abit more head scratching! lol

8. Gup16v Forum Member

sorry to hijack this thread, but such a small question and partially related.

ive got a VR6 rado rad on my AGU. does anyone know where i add the expansion tank top hose too? the rad doesnt have a feed for it, just inlet and outlet.

9. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Oi.. lol

From what understanding i do have, the expansion wants to come from the highest point of the system, maybe add a T piece in if there isn't an obvious location?? hth

10. Gup16v Forum Member

yeahh i think thats what ill do. although i do remember seeing a peice on the 16v rad set up which allows the feed to go inline with the top hose.

i just cba with vw..every part i need they have to order it in. im starting to question what it is they hold at their parts desk apart from oil and spark plugs.

t peice it is then thanks dude.

11. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Did you get it sorted Gup??

I've just found this pic that shows the expasion dosent go to bottom rad hose..

[​IMG]

Does it just have to fill into somewhere lower than the expansion tank?? also does anyone know the size of this pipe?? I dont have a ET to measure..

Thanx

12. Gup16v Forum Member

yeah i sorted it in the end..

with mines.. the coolant pipes that run on the gearbox side of the engine had an additional feed quite close to the end of the top rad hose..

so i just stuck the upper expansion tank pipe in that small feed and it now should run to the top side side of the rad.

so there was no need for the t piece.

what hose are you taking about btw..is it the actuall main coolant feed at the bottom of the tank or the top one ?
    when i went to vw on etka..it shows the top one going to the top side of the radiator.

13. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Goodo mate :)

Ahh.. i was talking about the bottom outlet of the expansion, but think i've been over analising again, lol just going to adapt it into the sytem at the closest location.. Havent realy thought where the expansion tanks going yet?? haha

14. Gup16v Forum Member

mine sits exactly where it does in a mk4 with an AGU. its fairly high up the strut tower.

if your using the original coolant lines that the engine came out of..just stick it where it allows you too. It should only be one place.

As for the bottom rad hose. yeah that comes directly from the coolant flange.
    some one correct me if im wrong.

ps im hoping to bleed mine tommorow, so ill see how it goes and if poss ill take some pics of my set up :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  15. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Yea i've seen a few located there.. just been out side haveing a mull over it.. think i've got it sussed? be good to see some pics tho matey! :) good luck bleeding! :thumbup: