Crankshaft pulley wobble and noisy

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bthc.alex, Jan 30, 2022.

1. bthc.alex Paid Member Paid Member

Hello everyone,
    Not sure if right place to post but anyway,
    I had a whining and tapping coming from pulley area so I replaced the water pump and since then the tapping is getting worse.
    The crank shaft pulley seems to be wobbling looking from above and the noise is in time with the wobble.
    Is this just a matter of replacing pulley or would it be the crankshaft itself making the noise ?
    It’s none power steering.
    Cheers

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Almost unheard of for there to be a wobble in the crank, more likely to be the vibration damper on the crank pulley failing.

3. bthc.alex Paid Member Paid Member

I guess changing the crank shaft pulley would be next point of call

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Maybe it’s just a bit loose? Start with taking the cam belt off and seeing if it is?

5. watercooled Forum Member

This appears to be an issue with these balancers when they get old,the rubber insert cracks with engine heat and the outer driven by the ribbed belt will slip on the inner, generally this will be noticed when you change a cambelt and the pulley will not line up with the cambelt cover arrow (as me how I know ).
    However I don't think they can wooble with this issue or atleast mine was fine but had slipped.
    I think this pulley is loose ,you can lock the centre crank nut (24mm ? ) no need to remove cambelt cover and check the 4 x 8mm capscrews are tight ,if its been flopping around you will need to replace along with the capscrews,good luck.

PhilRyder likes this.