Cure for Squealing Mk2 Golf Heater blower?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rooster, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

I'm sure someone has posted this already but I can't find it?

Can anyone tell me what I need to grease/oil on the heater motor/blower to stop it squealing and groaning? The motor works fine but the noise is getting to me.:(

2. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Easy

1: plug in iPhone to head unit
    2: crank up the volume
    3: crank up the volume a wee bit more
    4: repeat step 3 till problem solved.

Really though I have the same issue in right hand bends so would be interested to hear if there is a known fix for this.

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

There's no real permanent cure unless you fit a new/newer fan, or can replace the bearings (which is probably more trouble than its worth).

My solution, back when I had Mk2, was to pull the fan/motor out and give the fan spindle a good dousing in white lithium grease (the aerosol variety for ease). Would quieten it pretty well for a few months, then I'd repeat when it came back.

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

I agree with StuMc ^^ I normally use bearing grease but it's not a permanent fix. Ideally a ballraced type bearing from a roller skate (same as the old Tamiya Wild Willy M38 RC car) will be much better.

5. Rooster

Mmmm, I hoped there might be a tech solution but a good dousing in lithium grease will be a start (coupled with turning the volume up;)

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

TSC once claimed he soaked them in old engine oil, but he did mention that it smelt a bit.

7. Rooster

A liberal dousing of WD40 and lithium grease has quietned it to an acceptable level. Hopefully should be good for a while:thumbup:

8. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Almost 10 years later this post was helpful for me!

I removed the motor assembly and tried to take it apart to get at the bearings but couldn't get the white fan blades / wheel off. So I sat it upside down on the bench with some 3 in 1 oil pooled on the lower bearing overnight and seemed to do the trick. At least it's easy enough to get out / put back in the car when it needs to be done again [:^:]