Cuts out after driving through standing water

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mrglee, Feb 12, 2021.

1. mrglee Forum Member

Been plagued with this for a long time but can't find the cause tried simulating by spraying with hose at full pressure at everything in turn the crank sensor,dizzy,leads,coil,spark plugs ect but still it idles went in for a cuppa tried to start engine turns and have a spark but will only cough on first turn then just spins no codes are shown after 5-10mins finally got it started coughed and spluttered into life then ran normally I have changed the crank sensor (Hella) the cap and arm also checked air filter in case it was getting soaked but looks fine any ideas or suggestions would really be welcome.
    96 golf GTi 8 valve agg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I would start a process of elimination - how old is the distributor cap? To me it sounds like you may have a very small crack in it/or maybe the rotor arm or possibly a HT lead starting to brake down.
    I would start replacing those - distributor cap first, then rotor and finally HT leads and just to confirm the car runs fine when it's dry?

3. mrglee Forum Member

I have just replaced the cap and arm but still this problem occurs leads were changed last year with no improvement car starts first turn and runs perfectly when conditions are dry I think I'll just have to spray one thing at a time turn off and wait 10mins to see where the problem is

4. costel1969

This is a bit of a strange one - presuming leads, cap and rotor are OK, I'd be looking at coil, ignition module, maybe ECU, are spark plugs recent as well?

5. mrglee Forum Member

Yes it's been frustrating
    Can you confirm location of the ignition module can find no reference or is it part of the coil pack

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’ve got a perfect solution. Don’t drive through water [:D]

Otherwise, I can’t help.

7. mrglee Forum Member

Just for clarification this happens when I drive through a flooded piece of road ie 5mph in water as high as bottom of the car could this be the lambda sensors allowing water in then dries out due to the heat 5-10 mins as I can't get the engine to cut out spraying with the hose or chucking buckets of water at it now wet,cold and totally f**ked off.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what about the ignition coil, take it off and have a good look at the casing. they can develop cracks which let moisture in, you can give them a little more life by filling with silicone or similar

9. mrglee Forum Member

Funny enough last night I did manage to get it to cut out by spraying the coil but it started first turn and couldn't get it to repeat just dug my spare out as you say prone to cracking.
    IMG_20210215_120734.jpg
    Will order a new one and see how it goes.
    Just removed the coil and yes it's covered in cracks hopefully this is the problem.
    IMG_20210215_131541.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  10. costel1969

Is this not the ignition module that you have the pics of showing the cracks or am I out to lunch here?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

on the mk3 ignition module and coil are one combined unit so yes :)

12. costel1969

Ah! - I had presumed (incorrectly) that it was a Mk2 - didn't realise it was a combo unit on the Mk3