Cutting exhaust pipe for lobster back bends

Discussion in 'Engines' started by tshirt2k, Jun 13, 2009.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I've been trying to work out the shape of my downpipe, so i can make bends out of segments, known as lobster back bends. The reason i am going down this route is the 90 deg and U bends arent a sharp enough radius.

My design so far. I don't want too many small segments, so went for 30 deg 15 deg would double amount of segments but would be smoother.

[​IMG]

I found a program that can layout a pipe wrap for the correct angles so i can mark the pipe.

[​IMG]

Just want to know the best way to cut the 2.5" tube?? I could possibly borrow a chop saw and fit a metal disc but these are really for wood and have no way of securing the tube.

Any Ideas?? preferably something DIY. [:s]

2. micky1 Forum Member

4 1/2" grinder with a 1mm inox disk.

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Could give it a try but wont give a neat cut.

4. micky1 Forum Member

when you've marked it out cut near the line, then you can put a flap disk on and smooth upto the line.

Or get a plasma cutter and do it properly! if you mark it all out on 1 sheet and take it to an engineering shop they plasma it out for $

Can i have the link to that software....we use a similar program but aleays good to have another

5. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

you not thought of just getting it bent out of a single pipe? engineering firm, fabricator or a custom exhaust place shoud have a decent pipe bender.

hell, check ebay there's usually loads of pipebenders that will cope with thin wall 2.5inch pipe on there.

6. skint_golfer

oh, just remembered...

tack a plate over one end, pack full with sand then tack another plate to close the pipe in first.

this stops the inside radius collapsing and forces the outside to stretch. not quite mandrell bend quality but still pretty tidy.

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Already bought a U bend and werent tight enough. Rather do it myself and its good to learn.

Program is Here bit awkward to use but can be adjusted to get what you want. Its shareware.

8. skint_golfer

personally I'd go for solid works. although it is a lot more in depth and take practice.

2008/9 student editions about 45 from www.studica.co.uk

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The cone program should be good enough for my needs as i'm not goin to be doing many exhausts (I hope). Goin to see if a band saw @ work will cut the tubes. Then tidy up with one of those ALDI Bench belt sanders.

I've already printed the angles i need then i can start marking out and cutting.

That program is more like 100:o not worth it for me..

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Why not take your existing bend, take a few thin slices out of the inside radius, close it up and re-weld it? If it's close to what you need, that'll be your quickest solution.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I theory it could work, but in practice, its hard work cutting stainless (with a hacksaw). I am getting some of those inox discs though. I've only got one half of the U bend to play with. The rest can be used for the rest of the downpipe.
    Slices are sort of guess work with how much to cut out. Also i'd like it to look fairly Engineered. With me having that training background. [:-B]

12. skint_golfer

just went back on there today to order my copy and the 45, 2008/9 version I was thinking of for you has been removed. its replacement 2009/10 edition works out with vat and postage to about 138!!!!

brilliant program though, good for all sorts of design