CV Joint Drawings

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Dave, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Chris. I can't recollect a thread on the 'Three Bolt' inner CVs per. se.!

My take on this is:

Observations.

1 - The CV Housing is of normal design, but with finned grooves machined in the OD, perhaps to provide some cooling effect. Mk3 Kit Cars use a fully machined Housing as do GKN Motorsport CVs.

2 - Three M10 x 55 Grade 12.9 Aerospace Bolts are used as on Mk 3 K.C.s. (Mystery: Two different ones are called up! NSP 200 003 and NSP 220 003 - Both M10 x 55) The Mk2 16v Gruppe A cars used a Bolt with internal splined head similar to standard.

3 - There are drive pins in the other three holes. This is common to Mk2 and Mk3 VWMS cars. (Mystery: On some Mk3 setups,and some GKN MS inner CVs, three M6 csk Screws and Nuts are used to retain an inner cover plate. So no drive pins? The three spare holes in the drive flange would need to be opened out to accomodate the M6 Nuts.)

4 - The lose Red Boot, with a Clip, is also like one or two GKN MS Boots, which I have only seen in Black. I assume that this Boot is Urethane? Coloured Urethane boots are available, from other sources, but I have only found these with an integral Cover Plate.

5 - The Blue Adonised-Aluminum cover looks pretty!

6 - I have only noted the Anti-Cetrifuge 'O' Rings on outer CVs before.

7 - The Drive Shaft appears to be 25 splines, as it has a step just outside the end of the Boot. Mk3 K.C.s used a stepped 25 spline Shaft, and an un-stepped 27 or 28 spline Shaft. The centre portion of these Shafts will be the same diameter as the root of the splines to reduced fatigue raising changes of section.

Analysis.

1- The finning is interesting! But, is it necessary? It is heavier than a fully machined Housing! Did G60s require more cooling to the inner CVs?

2 - This set-up of lose Boot, Clip and Aluminum Cover will be heavier than an integral steel Cover/Boot arrangement.

3 - I don't like the idea of the Bolt Head sitting directly onto the Aluminum Cover. A harden washer would be better under there. Breathing, and hence loosening, might occur!

4 - The Anti-Cetrifuge 'O' Rings may be required if the Urethane Boot is less stiff than a Rubber Boot.

Question.

Is this set-up home made to look pretty?

Conclusion.

We need G60 and Rallye Gruppe A Werkstatthanbuchs, as well as the Gruppe A 8v, to understand more.

The Mysterious - Bolts/Pins/Screws combinations is blowing my mind!
    MK3KCCVScrew.jpg MK3KCCVPin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Dave, I believe the word your after is ''Race''....
    Bar the fast change tri bolt/pin setup, all the rest is just bling...

3. Dave

Tom.

Look what Nige found on Saturday!:clap:

weddingandhub022.jpg

More on the VWMS 8v Thread anon!;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great find.

[​IMG] Hmm, do I see visible welding lines??

5. Dave

You do, but that is another mystery?;)

Patience 'Timothy', all will be revealed, anon!:lol:

6. Admin Guest

I'm all over it.

7. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

can any one help, i`m looking for a 28 teeth 100mm inner cv cheers

8. babbe Forum Member

So am i.
    Ended upp ordering special cv:s from gkn motorsport

9. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

i think i may have got around it by changing the flanges, i`ll find out today if it works, was that through ebay because i had noticed these ?

10. babbe Forum Member

what is your reson to that you want 100mm with 28splines?

i need to use it bcs it would be to expensive to buy new flanges for me as i am using an gemini diff in my car and the flanges are bigger that oem,

i have orderd them though sellholm tunning here in sweden but havent got them yet

new 108mm flanges wasent very expensiv here, about 200euro for brand new from vag.

11. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

i`m using an s4 gearbox, but it came with 100mm cv flange they should have been 108mm, my driveshafts use 108mm cvs with 28 spline didnt really want to drop the size of cv because of power, its just proving hard to find the gearbox flanges i need
    i was just exploring which options i had, so i tried 02j 108mm flanges which unfortunately dont fit because the spline is to small

12. babbe Forum Member

ok.

yeah think your only option is getting the right flanges.

13. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

yep certainly is, dont suppose you know anyone breaking an S4?

14. mercedeslimos Forum Member

daved mate,

greetings from Cork!:)

got a request for you.

MK4 Golf 150BHP TDI (ARL) outer CV's, and Skoda Fabia VRS MK1 outers - are they the same?

I know that the VR6 hubs I have have the same amount of teeth as the MK4 TDI CV you posted at the start if this thread. However a guy who is shortening driveshafts for me (for my PD150-02M MK2 Golf project) says that I need the VRS outer CV's for some reason... Can;t remember why!

Sam

15. Dave

Hi Sam.

I am not running at 100% mode at the moment, but it would be a pleasure to look into it for you, and it is quite a while since I addressed the subject so it might be a couple of days before I can get my head back into CV joint mode.

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  16. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Good man thanks a million. Hope you are feeling a bit better, I know that here in ireland things can really get you down. I see you drink and smoke, both taxed more again yesterday... at least they haven't taxed us car people yet again!

17. Dave

Sam.

I am not into the Fabia vrs as they are not two door cars.

So. There appear to be two versions:

1.9 tdi & 1.4 tfsi

Which is it?

There is almost no information on 1.4 parts, but I have found some info on 1.9 components.

Dave.

18. mercedeslimos Forum Member

And neither me, this one is for the MK2! My VR^ hubs are away being drilled to 4x100 so any actual mockup is not happening.

the MK1 VRS is the one I'm after, maybe 2001ish to 2006, the 1.9TDI 130BHP ASZ and 02M 6 speed gearbox..

Sam

19. Dave

Sam.

I have to admit to failure on this one. The problem is that: Of the data I have checked, from Lobro, Spidan and SKF, the CV listing don't always refer to engine codes. When I have looked at Skoda there is one car with the same cross reference number as the Mk4 Golf, but it appears to be for a none VRS car. The other problem is that one 130 bhp Skoda has two different part numbers dependent on chassis number.

I did actually find the VAG part number for the 1.9 tdi VRS, but the bit of card I wrote it on is now NLA as my wife has burnt it!

I shall keep trying, but at this rate of progress you would probably be better buying a cheap aftermark CV to compare. I have seen CVs on ebay at 19!

Dave.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  20. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I looked a some cheap CV joints for my mk4 TDI at the motor factor
    All was well till I tried to fit them
    The taper on the Body of the CV was not right and hit on the rear of the hub carirrer
    Even though they were listed as the right ones lol