CV Joint Drawings

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Dave, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mercedeslimos Forum Member

No worries at all Dave, I know VAG can be tricky wih their numbers - tried to find a number for an 02A front bracket last week, couldn't hardly find any. And when I scoured the shed, none of them had any part numbers on them! I stumbled across a G60 one by chance, and made sure it looked the same as one listed on eBay!

ASZ and BLT were the Fab VRS engine codes, I think the BLT was the later Euro 5 or whatever.

I got my flanges back from drilling, and before they were pressed in I just test fitted a MK4 outer CV in them, fitted perfect. Hopefully they will do the same when bearings and flanges are pressed into the hub spindles. The reason why this is, the guy who is shortening my shafts is running fabia outer CV's but he said it was because the mk4 outer cv's didn't fit his VR6 hubs. If the actual physical dimensions were the same it would eliminate me buying more as I have 3 sets of mk4 shafts here! Obviously the shafts need to be perfect length being a custom jon for the 02M, hopefully there is light at the end of a blue Mk2 golf shaped tunnel!

2. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Grinder!!!

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

If it's of any use Sam, this is what I found from the GKN Lobro Catalogue.

As I said 2 different CV joint numbers on the Fabia neither of which seems to match your MkIV one exactly.
    FabiaRSCV1_zps7358d76d.jpg

VAG Part Numbers:

303551 = 1J0 498 099E
    303555 = 6Q0 498 099A
    304436 = 6Q0 498 099F

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
  4. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Well Alex (the guy doing the custom shafts) his ones are 130bhp (96kw) ones, reckon it's worth a shot? Surely they can't be that much different, I've heard of guys using mk4 shafts shortened in vr6 hubs before, and my splines match up. His only concern is that his shaft lengths are perfect for the Fabia setup, but as long as the cvs were the same length from where the cv touches the bearing to the end where the boot fits over, and that the shaft goes in the right distance, it should be ok. I hope!

5. murph81 Forum Member

Would you not change the 02M for an 02S, it would solve a lot of problems?

6. mercedeslimos Forum Member

To be honest Adam, not really. This is just trying to save money. Because I have loads of CVs for mk4 108mm sat around and if they do break I have me rather than the Fabia ones which are expensive and hard come by. Plus, the 02M has the 240mm flywheel and clutch. I have 3 diesel 02Ms here at home too. 02S are very hard come by and expensive. Plus BIG torque TDI... The donor engine is making 195hp/295tq before I put the 2260vk on it. Unsure how an 02s would hold up. For the higher powered diesels VAG used the 02M and after that the 02Q twin output shaft(unlike the single shaft 5speed based S), 02Sw as only on the 105bhp TDI. Has to be some reason. Plus I have the help of dieseljohnny too [:D]

7. Dave

Sorry Sam, I forgot to post this Code page.
    LOBROCODES_zps80613c77.jpg
    FabiaRSCV1_zps7358d76d.jpg

303446 Fabia & 303551 MkIV appear to be identical except for the Oil Seal Dia 'O' which appears to differ by 1mm - 52 cf 53. Now I can't see 'O' on the chart and as there is no oil seal I believe they mean the bellows diameter on the drive shaft, which does not matter at all!? So the different part numbers could be down to a different rubber boot?

So, what I need to find now is the length from bearing face to engagement face.

8. Dave

Sorry Sam, but here are no drawings for the 6Q0 CV joints on the data base.

SKF also show them used on the Polo.
    SKFPolo_zpsc8d46396.jpg

SKFFabia_zpsdc3d56cf.jpg

And Meyle appear to say they will fit the Mk4!
    MeyleCVData_zps1926206f.jpg

I hope you realise that I have been up since 05.00 hrs working on this, where the feck are you!?lol

9. mercedeslimos Forum Member

I really appreciate it!

If Meyle say it will fit, they are usually right with fitments on things like that!

I'm in Cork! If you ever feel like coming down here there's a crash pad here haha. (spare bedroom, however, does have lots of MK2 parts in it! lol)

10. Dave

I know you are geographically located in Cork. I just wondered why you were not on site at 05.00hrs!:o

I know Cork well. Back in the mid 1990s I spent a lot of time there when I design the beautiful blue and grey shiploader at Tivoli docks.
    MOSTRUCTURES010_zps0e310c83.jpg

I'll visit with you when they re-open the West Coast Mainline Railway cos. I travel free.:thumbup:

But I should not hold your breath!lollollol

11. mercedeslimos Forum Member

I think the fact I had to get up for college at 6.45... I have a hectic schedule between work and college, plus building a MK2!

So they ARE the same basically! Great to know. 1mm oil seal has to be the thickness of the boot I say

12. joshw Forum Member

Bringing this back form the dead.

I have been looking into this setup for our TDI powered MK2 rally car as we are snapping axles at the splines inside the wheel bearing using mk2 assemblies.

It seems that using the Audi 80 parts may be more difficult than just re-drilling hubs and boring out the upright to accept the bearings. All of the post 1987 mk2 and mk3 uprights use 72mm OD bearings with 40mm ID and 37mm width. THe Audi 80 bearings are 68 or 69mm OD from what I can gather and have a 'stepped' ID for the hub going from 39mm to 40 or 41mm. Still looking for a good solution but don't want to end up purchasing a bunch of parts that can not be cobbled together reasonably.

It MAY be possible to machine a 2mm spacer to press into the upright to reduce the bearing from 72mm to 68mm and run the Audi 80 bearings but I am not confident that it would work.

THe simplest solution may be to run the mk3 VR6 outers (nut style not bolt-style) and hubs redrilled to 4x100 but this is unsatisfactory in some ways.

Thoughts?
    Experience?

Dave likes this.
  13. Dave

Hey up Josh.

Pre 1987 uprights are what to use.

I'll post photos of mine when I have time.

Regards,
    Dave

14. joshw Forum Member

Was afraid of that.
    That means that having spares of all the components we run is going to be time and $$$ consuming. Brakes, brackets, 4 new uprights and all the bits. Plus reconfigure the lower ball-joints, etc.

Sounds like VR6 or custom made hubs are the way to go....

15. Dave

Josh. Parallel bore bearings from earlier 80s and Passats.
    Stepped bores used on later cars.
    DSC09944_zpswe6gg1qt.jpg

Hubs are from rear of my 90Q 20V which now has 5 x 112 hubs.
    These were stepped but now turned down to suit parallel bearings.

( I have spent literally hours searching all wheel bearing manufacturer's catalogues to find any bearings with the correct ID/OD/Width to use bolted any combination of CV joints in other VW uprights. All to no avail!)
    DSC09943_zpsuzkcgvon.jpg

16. joshw Forum Member

Thanks Dave, do you have a part number for those non-stepped bearings and hubs?

Dimensions?

17. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

L as z[​IMG]

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

18. Dave

Hi Josh.
    I have been away in the North Donegal Mountains, hence late reply.

The old Audi 80 hub - 4 x100 for use with parallel bore bearing 321 498 625D (68 OD x 40 ID x 37 W) is: 893 407 615A

The stepped 4 x 108 Audi hub for skimming and drilling/taping 4 x 100 is: 443 407 615A

The parallel hubs may be hard to find, except for aftermarket stuff. I don't touch aftermarket stuff.

I wrote this for another yank who was having CV shaft breakages using VW type nut system:

Convert to Mk2 VWMS design.

IE: Bored Out Upright - Passat/Audi 80 Bearing - Modified Audi 80 Hub - Audi 80 CV Joint

Bore Upright to 68mm.
    Fit 321 498 625D Bearing.
    Drill and Tap 4 x 100 PCD into Audi 80 Hub. #1
    Skim Audi 80 Hub Bearing Dia.to 40mm all along. Stepped design 40mm/43mm.
    Fit Audi 80 CV Joint.#2

#1 - Use only genuine Audi Hubs. Better 2nd hand ones from a breaker than aftermarket rubbish. The VAG hubs are forged from the correct steel. The aftermarket ones are probably machined from any old bar stock. So the grain flow in the forged hubs is perfect, anything machined from bar stock will have discontinuities cut into the straight grain.
    #2 - The Audi CV Joint is far superior as it uses a 'stretch' bolt to control joint tightness perfectly. The VW type CV, with a nut, is very poor in comparison. Use only VAG or GKN/Lobro CV Joints. Aftermarket ones are very questionable.

19. joshw Forum Member

THe parallel hubs and bearings appear to be for old Passat (Quantum) vehicles that use an outer CV with nut rather than bolt. I think they are the same as mk2 VW in terms of spline count & diameter so they would not work....

Looking for parallel bore hub to work with 893498099 outer CV
    I don't think this hub fits 893407615A
    With this bearing 321498625E

But, I could be worng

Dave likes this.
  20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Looking at ETKA the 893498099 CV joint is listed to fit the front of 87-92 A80/90/quattro with hub 893407615A and bearing 321498625E, so thats all fine.

Hub 443407615A is listed for 77-91 A100/quattro, 85-88 coupe quattro and A80/90 quattro 85-92. If I'm reading it right, its used up front for nut fixing CV on A100 automatic models, and for the rear of A80 quattro models?

As Dave says, finding either might be tricky :lol: