davkav's Mk2 Oak Green 8v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by davkav, Feb 6, 2018.

1. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

Got a few more bits done to the mk2 over the last few weeks/months.

The car had its NCT (equivalent of MOT) a few weeks ago and failed on bulging front brake lines. When I went to replace the lines, wouldn't you know the lines to brake pipes were completely seized so I had to order a new brake pipe kit from VW heritage. It's a pity I didn't go at this sooner, as I had Goodridge braided lines for the fronts sitting there for the past year waiting to be fitted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was a sticky starter motor. The starter would stop mid cycle and fail to start the engine. I'd have to bump the car in gear and try again until I got a few revolutions out of it.
    Stripped it all down, cleaned up all of the contacts, fitted new brushes, and even gave it a lick of paint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

X[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  2. davkav

Next up was the aul suspension. I've had these Eibach springs and Bilstein B4 struts that Tristan sourced for me sitting in the garage since July 2018. So about time they got fitted.

Up front I had fitted new mk3 top mounts and bearings when I first got the car, so probably less than 2,000 miles on them. And for the back, new top mounts were fitted with all new mounting hardware. There was nothing wrong per se with the existing suspension, it passed the NCT with flying colours each year; I just didn't know the history of them and wanted something with a bit more performance. The new kit is a 30mm drop over factory suspension. The kit I took off was 40mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted a new headliner which I got from a local groupbuy.

It was a bit of a pig to fit to be honest, but we got it in and all trim/handles fitted. This is definitely a two man job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simon Peter Dodgson and erreesse like this.
  3. davkav

So with all that is going on, or not as the case may be, I took to start cleaning the wheels on the mk2. They are a pig to clean in between all of the spokes and one thing I regret not doing when I had them refurbished was having them sealed. Sealing them would have made regular cleaning much easier.

So off with the front two wheels and get to cleaning.

These are the areas that I was struggling to clean
    [​IMG]

The inside of the rims was filthy with tar and muck
    [​IMG]

A quick rinse and wash and alot of the dirt was removed
    [​IMG]

So this is what I was left with, loads of small tar drops all over the rims
    [​IMG]

Out with the clay bar and tar remover and they came up good as new. I have a set of Wheel Woolies in the post but for now I made do with a rag and some TarX to get right in to the tight spaces between the spokes
    [​IMG]

Good as new, ready for prep and sealing. Along with the Wheel Woolies I have some GTechniq C4 to seal the wheels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I have the fronts sealed I'll then go at the rears. I don't like leaving the car up on 4 axle stands for long periods.

erreesse and Toyotec like this.
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Great Stuff - this is mighty - don't know I haven't seen this before but glad to see and know that there's another cracking Mk2 knocking around the Emerald Isle
    Just declared mine off the road - the next time it's being taxed it will be for 56 Euros not the rip-off 175 a quarter that they currently whip us with.

5. Chtelain New Member

Try Iron X on your wheels ;)

6. davkav

Thanks man. One thing is for sure there will be alot of clean and tidy cars on the roads when the restrictions are lifted.

I forgot to mention Iron X. I tried some Iron X but little or no fall out was observed. It was all tar...

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

There's a few, more than you'd think.

Dave, all that cleaning should help when you trade up for a nice mk3 or mk4.

8. costel1969

Well I'm glad if that's the case Tristan - keep an eye out for 91-LH-225, that was my old one, Christ knows if it's still around but she was a good bus.

9. davkav

C5 coating finally arrived in the post so sealed the wheels up straight away. Handy stuff to apply, wipe on and buff off after 30 or seconds. The sealant definitely added an extra sheen to the wheels too which I wasn't expecting. They came up great. Time will tell how easy they will be to keep clean now.

I've still to do the rears but they aren't half as bad, maybe I need to adjust the front to rear brake bias :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst waiting for the wheel sealant to arrive, I decided to swap out my worn front ARB bushes. Turned out to be a PITA to do it indoors as I don't have the space to be dropping the subframe etc. So with the front wheels sealed up and back on the car, I went at the ARB bushes in the driveway. In this photo, you can also see how well the trims came up after using Gtechniq C4 on them. I couldn't get over the difference, savage stuff.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the following parts have been fitted since the tax/NCT has run out last year, so can't wait to get it back on the road and go for a good spin.
    Shocks and springs
    Front braided brakes hoses
    Front ARB bushes
    GTi gearbox and lightened flywheel
    Gas n Gears shifter linkage

Next on the list is the rear ARB bushes and rear axle bushes. Can't wait to go at them

[​IMG]

Steffen, 1990, costel1969 and 3 others like this.
  10. costel1969

This is looking really, really nice - there's nothing like a clean (OEM looking) Mk2 Golf in my humble opinion. Top notch Sir!!

1990 and Savagesam like this.
  11. waj27 Forum Member

Very clean and original Nice

Savagesam likes this.
  12. BISSONE Forum Member

I used the C4 on my MK3 plastics and as you said came up amazing and was really impressed, only downside I did it outside and rained after I applied it and I thought nothing of it.......fast forward and have water marks on all my plastics that won’t come out! So have to wait until it needs applying again in the future.:cry:

13. Chtelain New Member

And compared to the Gyeon Q2 Trim ?

14. davkav

Got the rear wheel cleaned and sealed. There was some amount of iron fallout on the backs :shock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the rear wheels off and the car not going anywhere soon as it had no NCT, I decided to change the bushes on the rear axle.
    I attempted to change them on the car but it is impossible without disconnecting the rear passenger side brake line as it prevents the axle to to chassis bolt from being removed.
    So if I was disconnecting one line, I may disconnect the other. Off the whole lot came.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I was happy to find the bushes were in bad shape. The metal cups had near fully corroded away as well....
    I say happy, as the car felt a bit floaty in the rear in corners, so fitting the new bushes has tightened it up a good bit.
    [​IMG]

Out with the old
    [​IMG]

A quick clean up with the wire wheel, ready for a lick of paint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in with the new
    [​IMG]

The driver side was bit trickier as it has the bracket for the rear brake proportioning valve in the way. So a few additional tools were required :lol:
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up all of the bolts and threads of crud/rust/paint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Washed down the axle with POR-15 metal prep and degreaser
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then gave it all a liberal coating of POR-15 gloss black
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New brake dust shields and bearing covers were fitted as the originals were badly corrorded
    [​IMG]

New ARB bush fitted
    [​IMG]

And new brake lines fitted. I'm no good at bending and shaping brake lines :?
    [​IMG]

I wasn't going to bother giving the rear calipers a lick of paint, but they looked so bad in comparison to all of the other parts
    [​IMG]

And all back together nice and shiney
    [​IMG]

NCT/MOT is booked for this Saturday and it has been taxed for 3 months as of yesterday, so cannot wait to get out for a good spin in it. [:D]

costel1969, erreesse, bri and 2 others like this.
  15. davkav

A few more jobs done on the mk2.

I've had this fire extinguisher in the garage for a few months now. Pretty silly leaving it for so long as it is no good to me out on the road. Mounted the bracket for the fire extinguisher in the boot but now I am thinking will I mount it in the cabin somewhere for easier access. The car doesn't have central locking, so if a fire were to occur I'd have to remember to take the key out of the ignition to open the boot, else valuaable time could be lost....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on my list was to fit a new 22m brake master cylinder
    [​IMG]

It looked pretty rough over there and I was full expecting nuts to round on the mounting posts and brake line nuts but it all disconnected without any drama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used an oil extractor to drain the brake fluid reservoir and once the reservoir was removed from the master cylinder, I sucked as much fluid out of it as I could.
    Swapped in the new cylinder, pushed the pistons back in the calipers until the cylinder filled up again, and then refitted the reservoir with fresh brake fluid. No bleeding required :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

With the 280mm front calipers and the new 22m master cylinder, brake feel has improved greatly. Previously they were very on off and hard to regulate. The wheels would lock up easily in the rain too.
    The 22mm definitely gives a more linear feel to the brake pedal.

Next up was to replace a torn steering column boot
    [​IMG]

As I was doing the boot and master cylinder on the same day, I decided to remove the intake manifold to make things easier. I've played around with the steering column joint when the intake manifold is in place, and its as if you are giving the engine a big hug when you are trying to get two arms down to it. Not very comfortable at all.
    [​IMG]

All back together with the exception of getting the base of the boot on snug around the steering rack. I'll need to get under the car to pull it tight.

And lastly, I had a bit of HVAC filter foam in the garage so used it to wrap around the climate control intake. It ain't pretty but it works.
    [​IMG]

That's it for now. Motor tax expires at the end of the month, so it'll be parked in the garage until the new year. It'll be its 30th birthday next year so I might try my arm at getting vintage tax on it in January (build date is 08/91).

bri and erreesse like this.
  16. davkav

So the motor tax has now expired on the car which means its time to bring it into the garage and get some more work done on it [8-}]

Saturday gone I took off the front bumper so that I could remove the driver side wing. The previous owner had cut slots into the wing for scene points I reckon, definitely not increased air flow to the filter housing anyway.....

IMG_20201003_145535.jpg

The wing was a bit of a pig to take off. I couldn't get over the amount of underseal that was plastered on to them. A few passes of the heat gun and slices of the stanley knife and I eventually got it off.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-03 at 5.55.31 PM.jpg

IMG_20201003_165934.jpg

Good news too, there was only surface rust just below the sill of the windscreen. I'll clean that up and re-seal it.

Gave it a quick wash and brought it into the garage
    IMG_20201003_174343.jpg

Whilst the front bumper is off and I have plenty of time, I'm going to remove the engine and gearbox for a clean up, tidy up and reroute some wiring, and maybe a bit of engine fettling.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    erreesse likes this.
  17. davkav

I managed to get a hold of a great condition unmodified oak green wing, I just hope its the same shade as the dodgy paint job on the car.

With the wing removed what is the best way to fit the replacement one?
    Work around the existing underseal and then spray over it once the wing is in place, or should I scrape off all of the underseal and spray new sealant on?

I also have gearbox leak that I am trying to diagnose, more on that here

18. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’d leave all the current under seal unless you see an issue, it’s got this far so it’ll continue to last.

davkav likes this.
  19. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Amazing work especially rear axle bushes beam refurb.
    I know mine is pending.....

davkav likes this.
  20. davkav

On closer inspection, there is a bit of rust to be cleaned up under the sill.
    IMG_20201007_122422.jpg

IMG_20201007_122430.jpg

And one or two spots in the arches themselves where too big a wheel must have been fitted at some stage.
    IMG_20201007_122437.jpg

Got a bit carried away over lunch and started stripping things down.
    This is the first time I've had the valve cover off since I got the car.... Looks good and clean!
    IMG_20201007_125554.jpg

What is this little button under the cam?
    IMG_20201007_125559.jpg

And were I left it before I got back to work. All fluids drained, wiring disconnected from the engine, and the power steering pump disconnected.
    IMG_20201007_135746.jpg

costel1969 likes this.