Depression

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mike gt, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Mike gt Forum Member

Who suffers with the illness? Does any one talk about it?

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Fluoxetine is your friend. Well, it was for me!

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Lots of people talk about it now. The right medication is different for every case, get medical advice.

My wife suffers from it, and it was horrendous as we didn't know what it was for a couple of years. Medication has helped massively, but she still has her bad moments.
    A friend of hers with depression tried to kill herself last year.

Get treatment. Quickly.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I was very low about 4-5 years ago, and it was a couple messages from the legendary and sorely missed Danster that got me out of it. A clich, but it's good to talk.

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I'm no expert but spent a day's training on mental health, we were told that, like painkillers, antidepressants only mask the symptoms, treating the cause is equally important but not as easy so is often overlooked.

6. Scutler Forum Member

Cognitive behavioral therapy has been a great help for me, medication did not help just made it worse....CBT really helped me to understand the issues.....still working on it daily and for those who have never suffered its hard to understand how debilitating it can be...

7. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Gaz, go back and tell them to amend their wording on that.. I went to a few sessions and they didn't pinpoint a cause. The medication didn't mask things but helped me through some very low moments without masking the real world.
    Until you've been there you won't fully understand. The human psyche is so complex it'll never be fully understood.

Imagine sitting in your living room with the feeling of impending doom hovering over you for no apparent reason. The room is shrinking in on you and everything just seems pointless and you just give up. It ain't nice.
    I once got all my affairs in order. Worst thing was it didn't take long. And that's all I'm saying on it.

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Everytime I come around to visit, you look happy and cheerful and full of banter. Yet you will never know that you have had those moments. Thanks for sharing.

9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

The mechanics of depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain . Medications are designed to address the imbalances.

Some people with family history of depression can be more susceptible to depression. Hereditary biology.

External forces can cause stress and depression as your body struggles to cope the pressures or problems you are facing.

Studies prove laughter aids healing as it releases good chemicals and the opposite for stress .

I'm generally a happy enough chap but works getting me down and I seem to have lost my drive recently Mrs says I'm depressed but I say I'm feed up lol

Having seen what serious depression does to someone my best wishes go to anyone who suffers .

10. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I was just relaying what I was told by a professional, I certainly wasn't saying medication doesn't work & I don't think that's what he meant either.

I think his concern was the fact that too many GPs just prescribe antidepressants & think they've cured you.

11. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  12. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

sometimes it's the people that you think are the happiest that suffer from depression
    they share their happiness but not the low points in their lives

as friends we should be there for them this is often a test of true friendship

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Depression is something I don't know much about.

A few years ago I would probably say it doesn't exist, your just having a bad day but now I do understand it is very real for people suffering from it.

I think talking (or typing) to others must help, wether those you talk to know of it, have had it, still have it or have never heard of it.

Do you think you or someone you know may be suffering from depression Mike GT?

14. Mike gt Forum Member

Been reading all the replays, and looking at some interesting help as well.

I my self is suffering with depression, am on medication and also had coin sling
    With it, lots of reading involved, but learning to cope with it is really hard,
    Especially in a busy work environment, but good to have men who understands the condition.

I'm writing on here as the last week is been really hard, really hard to explain the feeling, but it's like
    A big black cloud over you all the time, the men at work see me as happy at all times.

So struggling at this moment.

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

If you're struggling with work are you aware that severe depression is covered under the disability discrimination act so employers are obliged to make reasonable adjustments for sufferers?

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  16. DeanH New Member

Really did not know that at all, good to know.

17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Did your counselling teach you anything you didn't already know?

18. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Big respect to you for going public with this. I guess that 'coin sling' is an auto-correct of counselling?

I did the classic Google-diagnosis on myself earlier this year, and came up with something that fitted remarkably convincingly. I haven't had it formally confirmed by a GP/other medic.

I had a really bad day at work with a particular colleague seeming to disrespect me so badly that I virtually decided there and then that I couldn't work with him anymore, I'd have to leave. Another colleague told me shortly afterwards that this was just his 'style' and that I was over-reacting, I wasn't convinced at the time, at all.
    The next morning I woke up with a really strange feeling that someone had filled up my lower legs with lead. I phoned in sick, telling my boss exactly that, and he was very understanding, fortunately. (I have no idea what he may know or not know about depression, to this day).

Then I got to googling, because this was a very weird sensation. "Leaden legs" or something was my search term. One thing that came up was a thing called Atypical Depression. The only three facts I remember reading were that it could cause this leaden-leg thing, it is an unusual form of depression because happy things do cheer you up (apparently not the case with other types); and most interestingly for me, a symptom called "interpersonal rejection sensitivity", a tendency to wildly over-react, and take to heart excessively, criticism from others. This is something I've suffered from for as long as I can remember, but not all the time.

Acknowledging to myself (and partner) that this might actually be depression that I was experiencing was an immediate liberation, which I'm still surprised by. Just realising that there might be something chemically wrong made me feel better about the world (and my colleague!) straight away. Suddenly there was something I could actually tackle, somehow.

I must admit, typing this, that it seems almost trivial now, and compared to some others' experiences of depression, I think it really is a very mild form, if I'm right at all.

Anyone else seen these symptoms in themselves?

19. Scutler Forum Member

Currently doing my cbt therapy and its really helping me to understand how my thoughts control life and gives me a chance to challenge my thoughts......i`m 40 in a few weeks and really feel ive turned a corner with it all.....some days are tough but it helps with the right people around to explain things.

20. Mike gt Forum Member

Counselling did open my mind in a way of thinking and understanding.
    Didn't know with depression, when you have it you stuck with it, but need to learn how to cope with it.

It has taken a lot of courage to put this post up today, but I need to speak or write.

afbiker02, mr.brown and Scutler like this.