DESPERATE PLEA FOR HELP from someone in north west. RE:My rado g60.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Good:lol:

Only kiddin...Man my head hurts...may have a look for info on the g60 ignition system...

I can see this thread soon catching up to the 30 page thread on the rado forum...[8(]

2. bens_cab Forum Junkie

yeah to only difference is we will have found the problem by page 20 lol

does the g60 dizzy have a vac pipe going to it? only reason i ask is im sure your dizzy is advance retard meaning the ecu doesnt control spark map it just controls the fuel side of things i could be wrong

timing jitter can be caused by a dodgy hall wiring ect

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Yeah...theres no vac pipe m8...I cant get my head around how it all works.

I was thinking you set it via the dizzy as a base? and then it adjusts via the various sensors? but i dunno really!

ps:
    If anyone knows of a Manta 4oo Replica click / click that the owner would partx/swap for the corrado,please let me know![8(]

Id swap/partx straight away for the right car...without doubt,ive had enough man.

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

All the timing is controled by the ECU, the base timing is set by rotating the dizzy (altering the hall sender position), I beleive only the Automatic G60`s had a TPS sensor, for the gearbox not for the engine ECU.

The Digi1 is a very simple system, water temp/ hall sender (cam-crank position)/ o2/ idle and WOT switches on the throttlebody/ manifold pressure sensor in the ecu casing itself are all the inputs it needs to run.

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Cheers Keith...

I haven't really thought about it today...just had some very suprising news...

Just a thought though...When i stuck the full blend charger etc on...i bought some g12+ to stick in after flushing the sytem.
    I never got around to putting it in as this problem appeared...so im running pure water (crap i know)

Wouldn't have anything to do with it do you think? Probably not id say.

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Just read that a new fuel pump is 120 quid at vw [8(]

May try and get the money together to just get one stuck on it...as it looks like the original anyway,and the car has done 140k miles.

Will probably be the last thing i try...just seems easier than trying to get hold of a fuel pressure gauge...

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

^^ But then a tired fuel pump wouldn't cause the timing mark to jump about would it?

Oh i dunno...[:x]

I want my reliable old mk1 back[:^(]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  8. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Ive printed off a load of info from the Bosch KTS, elsawin and autodata, if you PM me you name, address, credit card number and switch card number Ill post them to you :lol:

9. paul_c Forum Member

Why didn't I think of that?? Oh yeah, on page 2 he mentions he has very little money....

Seriously though, you need to at least first understand if its rich, lean, or ignition fault. You can measure all of these, respectively:

Wideband Lambda (as stated) or gas analyser
    Wideband Lambda (as stated) or gas analyser
    Timing light for ignition timing
    Ignition voltage measuring thingy for spark strength*

* I've seen a big rig before, connected to an engine, which can give the kV going to each plug, through its range. There must be an equivalent affordable version of this, somewhere. Or if you can't do that, then swap-test components from a known good working car.

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

I dont get it[:s]
    Ive recently had to stop working due to illness,and im in debt...I can just about use 'plastic money' but i really shouldn't.

I dont know where to get hold of a wideband...? And i don't like asking to borrow things like that from people who i dont know....Its gonna be a case of finding someone near me that has one so i can take the heap of sh|t to them.

Ive got a gas anylyser,and it went through mot only week before last showing 0.47% co and 0093 ppm.
    I have a timing light too,ive used it over and over again when setting the ignition timing.
    But like i said earlier...the timing mark jumps back and forth,then will suddenly become 'stable'.
    Nobody knows whats causing this either though...[8(]

So has anyone near blackburn got a wideband that they could use on the corrado?

11. vrbanana Forum Junkie

These run **** with the %CO at minimum, PM me your details and I’ll post you the stuff + most Digipants I see don’t run as well as they should, need to be set up spot on

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

pm'd.

One thing thats p|ssing me off,is that its not like im a total spanner newbie[:s] Wasn't long ago i took the head off a mates g60 and rebuilt it...put it all back together,set it up and it turned first crank and runs mint to this day!

13. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I once discovered that my very cheap Gunson timing light was the reason why the timing mark 'jumped around' when I last used it.

I borrowed a neighbour's decent timing light (possibly Snap On, can't remember) and the timing mark was then very, very stable.

Worth thinking about.

14. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Cheers Trev,that sounds like a wicked solution...

But ive had my corrado and a mates golf g60 sat opposite each other checking the ignition timing...and its as stable as you like on his golf[8(]

I did buy it brand new through having this problem too...although i know you can get dodgy new items like...I really wish it was the case here[:^(]

Neil.

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

C'mon cgti...Are one of you guys gonna beat the corrado forum to finding the cause?

The battle is on [​IMG]

The corrado forum does have a near two year head start though :lol:

16. bens_cab Forum Junkie

were not at page 20 yet another 15 to go then its fixed lol

17. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Cure it yourself, mine runs lovely :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Aye,cheers for that Daz...Is this yours?

[​IMG]

:lol:

19. paul_c Forum Member

Okay, you've bent my arm. I've ordered but not received the wideband lambda sensor (and its coming from the USA), so once I've had it and played around a little on a couple of different cars, come around and we can at least stick the thing onto the car and watch the fuelling through proper running and fault conditions (you say it consistently shows the fault?).

PM me your contact details and I'll arrange with you and get back in touch once I have the meter; or if someone else has sorted you out by then.

Gas analysers are a handy thing but have their limitations. Firstly, the average home gas analyser is quite inaccurate but can be made much better by being allowed to warm up for around an hour or so. Also it has a lag on it (around 30 secs-1 minute) which means you can't record transient values, eg what does the car do on acceleration or deceleration. And lastly, they are only really supposed to be used for idle measurements. They still offer a useful service though, broadly telling you if you're running rich or lean, and by how much.

20. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Wow.
    What can i say m8? I just hope that i haven't forced your decision to buy the wideband!

Big thanks...Sincerely appreciate the offer of help:thumbup:
    And yep,the problem is noticeable the whole time...(revving slowly and unresponsively)

The only intermittent thing is the popping which happens randomly.

Thanks to everyone who replied so far,and pm sent Paul.
    Neil.:)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007