DESPERATE PLEA FOR HELP from someone in north west. RE:My rado g60.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Jul 14, 2007.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Have you tried a different ignition coil? If that wasn't quite doing it's thing correctly that could account for your jumping marks couldn't it?

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Yep,have tried the coil cheers m8.

Just got back from the unit...

Ran a temp earth from the battery negative directly to the earths on the side of the head.

No change.
    Sick to the back teeth of p|ssing about with it [:^(]

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Could something in or around the auxillary shaft be worn guys? worm gear etc?
    Causing the ignition timing to jump about? (as suggested by a m8)

My dad lent me the cash for a fuel pump today...ordered just the pump on its own,it can come with a load of other crap but it was 130 quid as it is:o

Decided im going to get to the bottom of this and then move the car on...

4. bens_cab Forum Junkie

thnik if the shaft was worn it would make a bit of noise mate

5. Supercharged Forum Member

I've been thinking this too mate but I don't think it's posible...

You'll need a new sender unit with the new pump as they are now VDO units - the parts guy should have been aware of that!

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

How many wires come off the WOT switch? Do they go straight to the ECU?

Just thinking along the lines that microswitches always seem to have a common, a normally open and a normally closed contact. If all three are wired back to the ECU, could it be that the connections are crossed over at one end? It seems like something you'd have checked (many times) and unlikely that all three would be wired up (if there are indeed three possible connections to that switch), but, what the hell, I tried!

On the other hand, if you are gong to get rid of the car even if you fix it surely you just tape up the switch neatly and sell it to the first person that offers you asking price?

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Thanks again guys...

The wot switch just has the one open or closed contact and yep its all been checked time and time and time again:lol: [:^(]

Its funny ben mentions a noise re:the auxillary shaft though...i had a comment earlier on youtube where someone said

Here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncMWd7PY6rM

Does it sound ok to you guys?[:s]

8. bens_cab Forum Junkie

your right sounds like a wheel bearing is falling of the car? bizarre could just be the charger swirling the air around

i think a more likely reason for timing jitter is interupted signal to the hall sender or noise on the loom

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Oh god i hate this car[:^(]

10. bens_cab Forum Junkie

lol i guess taking the cambelt of and seeing if theres any play in the shaft may determin if theres a problem not sure its going to cause the timing jitter tho

11. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Don’t keep buying bits just because you think they may be at fault, just imagine if a garage did that and then charged you, you’d go mad. Bet you’ve spent a fortune you could have saved. Test everything

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Aye...you do have a point Daz...but i think the fuel pump is now the one and only thing i haven't replaced:o And i really have tested everything over and over again [:^(]

Thanks for the printed stuff by the way...I was up at the unit earlier,not a lot that i haven't already checked out and the rest requires the crazy v.a.g equipment which obviously i don't have.

But!
    I did read that the fuel pressure (after turning engine off) should hold at 2bar for 10 minutes...(iirc) When the guy tested my fuel pressure,as soon as the engine was turned off the pressure dropped to zero pretty much straight away...maybe 5 seconds.

Now i have already replaced the fpr...
    so i guess im asking if this would point to the pump? im sure i read somwhere that the pump has a non return valve built into it or something?

Cheers,Neil.
    Pump turns up tommorow,but the sender to go with it may be a couple of weeks[8(]
    I may try the pump on its own without the sender hooked up,what ya reckon?

13. bens_cab Forum Junkie

try the new pump with old sender should give you a rough idea if its the problem

efi pumps are low pressure anyway but if the pressure drops whilst your driving at certain rpms that would indeed give you lean spots causing your problems

realy hope the pump fixes this for you mate

14. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Cheers Ben...me too m8,hope to god it sorts it.[8(]

I cable tied the wot switch closed again today,it was really getting on my nerves popping and wotnot.[xx(]
    Its friggin dangerous too when it does it trying to pull away from roundabouts etc!

Neil.

Edit:cant understand why the timing mark would jump around though?

15. bens_cab Forum Junkie

it may be jumping around if theres a slight misfire or its ticking over rough

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Well its not the fecking fuel pump...

Gonna sell it now,cheers for the help with this guys but it seems the fault will never ever be found.
    Thanks for the offer of hooking up the lm1 Paul,but my brain just can't take any more thinking about this car.

Gonna put an advert together,cant afford to insure it again anyway.
    If anyone could put a value on it,it would be cool...

Neil.