Did any MK2s come with pollen filters?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by EZ_Pete, Nov 26, 2008.

1. mattneck Forum Member

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Cheers mattneck, that looks flat like part 18a in the vagcat pic?

I've just ordered the Mk3/Mk4 housing #19 above from VW Kidlington for about a tenner by the time VAT and club discount fight it out. Probably cheaper than me getting to a scrappie and back.

Just got to get my bodging hat on now to make it fit.

Looks like part number 18b will make the flat filters go in? (my E-bay purchase was a curvy one).

We shall see. [:D]

3. mattneck Forum Member

Will be good to know what comes of the Mk3 one!

If it fits the scuttle I'll maybe order the 18b frame and make mine fit.. :-)

4. mattneck Forum Member

LA19 as shown in the pciture above is the single filter element alone.

LAG19 is the kit which will include the cage which the filter goes into.

LA19 and LAG19 are both still produced by Mahle and are available. Costs yet unkown. Not stocked in the UK by Mahle but they can get them in, lead time of approximately 2 weeks, but with christmas that can throw it all out the window he said :lol:

HTH pete!

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:thumbup: Thanks again. I guess that was what rubjonny was saying in post #17, but I wasn't smart enough to put the pieces together. [:$]

If the Mk3 frame doesn't work out at least I know there's a 'drop-in' alternative from Mahle that can still be had.

6. mattneck Forum Member

I only worked out the deviation by using a program I have here called TecDoc. Gave me the separate OE Numbers for both parts.. LAG19 = 191 091 401 which is a retrofit kit, including new leaf tray and filter. the actual filter number seems to be 191 091 700.. or 191 819 643.. Though of course these are irrelevant now. Dropped in august 1997. VW still list a retail price of 33.02 though for the 191 091 401 part..

I'll order the Mahle one and see what it's like price and whatnot wise and get pics up. :thumbup:

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Well I'll be interested to see what comes of your dealings with these Mahle bits Matt.

My attempts have been an unmitigated failure. [:^(] :lol:

The Mk3 curvy-shaped filter arrived promptly from the E-bay seller. Then a few days later I got my Mk3/Mk4 pollen filter housing (1J2 819 640A) from VW.

The E-bay filter (Motaquip VCF146 written on it) doesn't fit the housing. It's about the right size, but the clips don't match so it won't be positively retained.

Then I tried to fit the housing into the car, and again, dismal failure. I knew that it wouldn't quite be plug-n-play, but it's much worse than that. [:$]

If mattneck/rubjonny hadn't made progress on an alternative that almost certainly will fit, I might have persevered with bodgery to modify this lot to work, after a fashion.

If anyone has any use for either of these parts, drop me a PM. :lol:

8. G60. Forum Member

i have a pollen filter on my g60 ed1, was there when i bought the car

9. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

So does the 1J2 819 640A not fit anywhere close then Pete?

10. Supercharged Forum Member

The easiest solution if you can't get the OEM bits is the clip on one from Jetex which is 12.99

Been running this on my Corrado for years, no probs with hayfever anymore and hardly ever need to clean the inside of the glass!

11. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

There's a rectangular lip that needs to go down into the rectangular hole in the metalwork, and it won't, by about 1.5mm on each dimension. Could cut that bit off I suppose.

Then the fixings are different, frame to metalwork, I expected that.

Then it just bumps into the wiper support arm that goes to the grommeted hole.

Worst prob though is the height, with the arch-shaped filter, no way the rain deflector will fit over it. Even with a flat filter I'd not be confident.

What's this Jetex clip-on solution please Mr Supercharged?

12. Supercharged Forum Member

Have a look on the Jetex site mate

13. Supercharged Forum Member

14. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Thanks fella, most kind. :)

15. dj_singh Forum Member

Any news on the pollen filter from jetex? I emailed them but they didnt make it clear if the filter just clips onto air vent.

16. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I DIYed something in the end. Took the foliage grille out and cut some of the slanty plastic away on the driver's side of it so a big rubber band would hold there well. Then I 'acquired' some filter material for a fume cupboard and cut a piece to fit over/round the top of the thing. Simples, and free.
    Fitted it a two or three months back, I must have a look how mucky it is. It does reduce the airflow a bit, but I figure that proves it's doing something, and I still never need the fan on more than "2".

I gave up on trying to get the Mahle LAG19 base part, even though Mattneck on here managed to get one ages back when this thread was fresh, and fitted it recently. I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't fit a RHD car as the rain tray has a deep groove in it just in front of the foliage tray that looks like it would interfere with the non-symmetrical Mahle part when on this side of the car. Mattneck tells me it does fit, but hasn't yet posted the pics to prove it. ;)

Edit: pretty mucky already:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  17. dj_singh Forum Member

I see, I think what you've done has been the most feasible so far. However I noticed that the LAG 19 kit is listed for the seat toledo, so If i could find one with air con in a scrappy and take the whole unit off it should be the same for the golf.

18. mattneck Forum Member

I'll be round the lockup tonight.. I'll do my best to remember them photos - I get carried away trying to get the entire thing on the road though and forget :lol:

19. cuppatea

cuppatea Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When i last lifted the scuttle trim on mine to unbolt the dash i found this lying next to the blower gauze. Not seen one on a mk2 before neither had any of the guys at work.
    Its plastic in layers with thin foam on each layer, most of it's disintergrated. Seemed to be the right size for the blower intake. Doesn't have any numbers on it whatsoever and no clips that would secure it.
    Anyone seen one before? Reckon its someone elses attempt at a pollen filter?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017
  20. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I have fitted a mk3 setup on my mk2 only needs 2 mods and fits fine , but the problem is the rain shield thing , that's needs to be cut loads , my k plate mk3 vr I had years ago had a mk2 setup on it ,so if you spot any early mk3 that's the one to get but as your have the base part then

will post some pics later in the week