Did any MK2s come with pollen filters?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by EZ_Pete, Nov 26, 2008.

1. dj_singh Forum Member

brilliant I cant stand all the dust getting into my car, an OEM setup would be brilliant I'll keep a lookout for early mk3's with aircon!

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This is what you should be looking at

Will try take some pictures of my mk4 housing next to the mk2 on
    When I'm off on Friday

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The mk3/4 one is massive and wont fit without some modification due to where the hole is, but it is something I've had on my list of things to do for a while! it'll need cutting up and filter position re-jigging, then the holes sealed back up. other issue is the mk3/4 type fits with nuts where the mk2 one slots under 2 pegs on 1 side then a clip on the other. so would needto have them cut off and studs put in or the mk3/4 lip changed to attach as per mk2

4. MUSHY 16V

5. rubjonny

I had high hopes when i saw mk3 and 4 same in ETKA, so I thinks well, 'mk3 scuttle area cant be THAT different to MK2 right?' wrong :lol:

ideally I'd like to mount it without chopping the plastic trim, but it probably wont be possible. There is a different style that used to be available from votex which is basically a filter panel that you strap to the mk2 intake with a fat rubber band, was dirt cheap too less than 10 I seem to remember. I managed to get one from classic parts via heritage a while back but now NLA now of course, and now any you find are mega bucks on ebay.de!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. MUSHY 16V

That's the thing that looks like the nissen hut in the parts catalogue

7. rubjonny

nah the nissen hut type thing is the proper factory fit type filter, it replaces the leaf filter with a different frame and takes replacement clip in filters to go with it.

My piccys show a different aftermarket votex accessory which sits on top of the standard leaf filter.

in the piccy above 8 is the stock leaf grille, 19 is the a/c housing and 18 is the clippy filter. the pic I think shows the original style fiter you got back in the day, which has been superseeded with the big flat MK4 version. a google turned up this:
    [​IMG]

8. MUSHY 16V

Cool
    LAG19 is the filter and housing
    LA19 is the flat filter

Though I'm guess LAG19 is only for left hand drive
    Could be wrong mind

9. rubjonny

IIRC the LAG numbers are actually SEAT toledo and are RHD but because toledo they almost fit but not 100% the scuttle trim needs slight tweak. then the ones you get off ebay.de are all LHD MK2 which is the same dealyo they clip on but the scuttle trim doesnt quite fit over

10. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I fitted the Mk3 item on my mk2 track car and have been trying to make a altered scuttle cover to stop the rain , but its a bit large. I had a early Mk3 with the old filter , at the time it was obsolete and i fitted the later type to it and filter as back then you could not by the filters
    i have seen a couple of the mk2 filter setups on ebay germany , but did not by them went for about 40

Happy to try a few more options

11. rubjonny

quick google for the LAG19 finds it amazon.de, and they list it to be 191091401, and an etka check puts it as a dust&pollen retrofit kit, only shown in the US section. which would mean LHD, and expains why its not quite right. what we really need is the RHD equivalent of this one but all pollen filter data long gone it just points you to the votex accessory catalogue

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  12. rubjonny

13. MUSHY 16V

Just seen something that's got me thinking
    And looks like it would fit

Has the two slots of the mk2 slightly longer but narrower

14. MUSHY 16V

15. MUSHY 16V

16. MUSHY 16V

17. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  18. MUSHY 16V

Cheers Pete
    How easy was it to get LAG19

19. rubjonny

Right!

The stock mk2 filters you have 2 styles, the originals are domed on top so on a RHD interfere quite a lot with the scuttle tray. the LAG19 as Pete sourced are flatter and so fit much better but still a slight hit on the tray. this may only be the case on the late hard plastic ones mind!
    Best pic I can find of the original style, the corner of the frame is slightly cut:
    1918196403.jpg

flat:
    191819640-5.jpg
    The cut corner apparently makes a difference somehow if you fit the 'wrong' filter as per this post, make of that what you will:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5628480

MK3/4 type RHD number 1J2819640A wont fit without serious mods, like PAB posted earlier. filter element for these is 1J0819644 plus frame 1J0819648 (aftermarket appear to have the frame attached) The LHD part may have potential:
    1J1819640B.jpg 1J1819640B-2.jpg

B5 passat/A4 8D0819441B, D and E look basically the same, and E superceeds D if you try to select it in ETKA. Look good candidates, with modification to the mountings as the slots are the opposite side to where we need them. Takes filter element 8A0819439A which is available, and will probably remain so for the forseeable future. The frame is also available at 22.53+VAT
    8D0819441B.JPG 8D0819441B-2.JPG

B5.5 passat 3B1819640A also looks good, possibly larger filter area than the above and shove it further backwards. This one uses the same filter as the bigger MK3 and the MK4 so if this one would fit we know we'll never struggle for filters! Though may interfere with wiper mech/bulkhead? same as above slots are on the wrong side for what we need. The RHD has the slots in the right place but it shoves the filter the other way so you would need to cut a hole in the inner wing :lol: Again available, 18.69+VAT
    3B1819640A.jpg

with either of the above if you aint scared of a bit of metal work would potentially be easy to fit, could drill 3 holes from above after marking then thread screws up from below to give the studs you need for some plastic nuts. tack of weld or some seam sealer/panel bonding would do it. Or tack studs on from above, the factory pins are all brazed on so you could do that for factory-ness

B4 passat look to be pretty different fixing style, 2x bolts/nuts and a metal 'slot' though possibly still same basic mk2 style shape. filter is 3A0819644 and available. The frames are both NLA so may be a struggle to get. Cant find any pics of the RHD frame 3a2819640, but this is the 3A1819640 for LHD:
    3a1819640.jpg

Audi 80 early looks to be totally different type heater system, later ones show 8A0819441A which looks to be same basic design as the A4/B5 type. Takes filter 8A0819439 (normal pollen) or 8A0819439B (odor and harmful substance) piccy of the base:
    audi80.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    MUSHY 16V likes this.
  20. MUSHY 16V

i like the look of the A4 B5 one