Digifant Idle at 2.5-3k When Warm

Discussion in 'Engines' started by nickh89GTi, Jul 3, 2008.

1. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi RJ

Not sure on the idle screw. What problems would it cause if it is still wound in all the way?

Will get a new temp sensor at lunch as i'm only 5 mins from the local VW dealer. Will post findings this evening when i put it in. I hope its just a sh**ty GSF sensor.

Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well basically if it is wound in all the way you definitly have an air leak somewhere! Maybe its the inlet manifold gasket, when I stripped out my mates 8v I noticed most of the bolts were barely finger tight! worth checking :)

3. nickh89GTi Forum Member

OK i will have a look tonight as long as the weather holds up. It wasn't to long ago i had the engine out and rebuilt it. May have worked them selves loose i guess. Will try blue temp sensor and see what happens.

Thanks for your help RJ

4. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Just another thing to add into the equation. The spark plugs are now really black and sooty.

5. rubjonny

could be due to rich running, a faulty blue sender will make the ecu do funny things!

6. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi RJ

Replaced blue temp sensor for VW one and now we have nice idle when cold and hot and stays solid not lumpy. :thumbup: [:D]

Only problem now is the passenger side driveshaft has worked itself loose, dropped out, hit the road and bounced back up and hit the selector on the gearbox and it is now JAMMED!!!!! [:x] [:x] [:x]

Its one prob after another at the moment. Lucky I have a spare pair of driveshafts as this one is buggered. Will have to inspect the gearbox selector tommorrow as to dark now.

What damage you think i have done?

Cheers Nick

7. rubjonny

christ :lol:
    Summat on the gearbox may be damaged now, I'd imagine the c/v flange on that side might be dented and possibly have some damaged threads?

8. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Theres no sheared bolts or anything. The flange looks fine. Had a look this morning and it is jammed in neutral. Can't move the selector thing on the back of the box [8(] [:x]

Looks like maybe new gearbox then. Thats gonna be fun trying to find another [:^(].

Cheers Nick

9. rubjonny

oops! you're in for a fun time!

10. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Yeah i know mate really can't wait :lol:.

Brother is making me a tool at work today to get the 27mm cover off the front of the box so i can take the selector shaft out (really hope this has just moved to far or bent).

If it is new box i may have one lined up. Again with the help of my brother and his mates who all have VW's.

Cheers Nick

11. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Managed to source a new gearbox this week and have fitted it in this morning. Brought myself a gunson's gastester this morning and i was wondering if anyone has used one of these before? It says in the manual to calibrate it a 2% CO in the air before use. Do i then go down to 1.8% when i put it in the exhaust?

Cheers

Nick

12. rubjonny

i set mine to around 1.5-1.8 yeah!

13. nickh89GTi Forum Member

So do i go down to those levels from the 2% that the tester needs calibrating at?

What level have you had the best results with?

Cheers

Nick

14. rubjonny

calibrate it in air to 2% then set it to book specs :)
    I set it to the richer end of the scale as digis apparently run a bit lean at the top end. Just make sure you dont leave the unit in direct sunlight and try to put it in fresh air if you can!

15. nickh89GTi Forum Member

OK mate. Cheers for your help. I will have a go at setting it up later and post up how i got on and any differences in performance i find.

Cheers

Nick

16. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Ive only seen one [:s] Someone help me out here

17. rubjonny

sorry there is ony 1 actual vac pipe on the servo, but there is also an extra thin nipple that is blanked off, plus a larger yellow one

18. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi RJ,

Off topic but, I have been searching about uprated headlight looms and i see you have done it a different way to everyone else as you have a relay and a fuse for each dipped beam.

Can you help me with what things i need to get and where from and if possible some general info about making up the looms?

Cheers

Nick

19. rubjonny

well the loom is made in the same way, its just you add 1 more fuse/relay wired in the same as the other with its own headlight plug on it. then you have a fuse/relay per light, just like how the orginal factory loom is wired :)

matey matey has a guide on it when I make my looms I crimp a spade terminal on the 2 trigger wires for the dipped/main relays, and just push them into the factory plugs. this means you can go back to standard at any time, if for some reason your loom fails or whatever.

I get all my supplies from vehicle wiring products:
    Relays
    R20B - 1.87 x3 relay - 5.61

Relay Sockets (these clip together, and RS3F has 3 fuses in it too, very neat!
    RSI - 0.91 x2 relay holder
    RS3F - 2.02 x1 relay holder + 3x fuse holders

Headlight plugs
    5736 - 1.47 x2 bulb connector

Ring terminals (for battery connection)
    R6 - 1.00 2.35(10) 1-3mm2 6.4mm ?

Fuses
    FB10 0.15 each, 3.96 (50 in one size) - 10amps 20amps Red

Wire Sleeving
    Sorry no exact measurements for what you need, just whats available! I just get like 3m of 5 & 8, that usually covers it all
    (covers 1.5x diam)
    TW5 - 1.04 - 5mm cable Twistwrap
    TW8 - 1.32 - 8mm cable Twistwrap
    TW13 - 1.50 - 13mm cable Twistwrap
    TW19 - 2.75 - 19mm cable Twistwrap

Wiring
    Again no exact measurements I get like 5m of each colour at a time, does me for ages
    Ref 25 - 0.39 per metre. 27.11 per 100 metre reel - 28/0.30mm, 2mm2, 25amp.

Heatshrink
    meter or so of the size you want should be plenty

20. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi Guys,

My mate has an 1994 L Reg Seat Ibiza 2.0 GTi 8v. He is having problems with it when it is first started and it runs really rough/lumpy and splutters but once it has warmed up it seems to settle down and idle better. Also whilst it is running rough it chucks out loads of black crap from the exhaust and also loads of black smoke when it is booted. The ISV is buzzing and it stalls when it is unplugged.

I no its not really a VW but hope someone can help so we can have a look at it tomorrow. It is also chucking out a lot of black smoke when its booted.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers Nick