Diy Haldex controller........Haldex Controller taken apart with pics

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by sambo, May 11, 2013.

1. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

and I know just the man ;)

2. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Trev, Im going to butt in here while its fresh in my head as I just thought of it now, and a discussion I had with a guy on facebook that makes the extruded throttles(his name wont come to me atm)
    It was a similar idea I had, and was telling him that it could be made to would work - possibly in his interest.
    Im not that sure that he thought it was great, but for the 20min I spent thinking about it I thought it was a great idea.lol

The concept was - which Ive never seen done, or tested, is fitting throttle bodies to an engine that is drive by wire(single throttle body)- And keep the drive by wire function.
    My thoughts were to keep the original dbw throttle body, remove it but leave wired/working and hide it in glove box, or in bay somewhere. It would be opened up, adding an encoder to throttle shaft - such as the amt 102(see link below)

Then, with an arduino, which has on board 5v to drive the encoder, take the A + B signals from encoder to inputs. From memory these are two square wave forms 90 deg out of phase pending what the encoder is doing. They would be pretty easy look at live and manipulate within the arduino coding so that you could tailor the output to the H bridge(motor driver). A stepper could then be picked and mounted to the end of the itb shaft. I dont know what size you would need, but Im guessing something in the nema 23 chassis would do(you could remove some return springs from itbs)

It would take a bit of tailoring, - realizing that 4 itbs at idle would leak more air than the single oem throttle, but Im sure it could be done.

Obviously the maf would have to be mounted upstream as it was, but thats easy on say a CF airbox bolted to bodies.

Im not sure how the original management would react to a faster inrush of air going from idle to WOT, but maybe thats one Toyotec could answer.

The oem throttle to stepper/itbs end would work, though, I think.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AMT102-V KIT/102-1307-ND/827015

Feel free to split this off to a new thread if you want, I just had to get it down on 'epaper' while it came to me on opening this,

Brian,

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

@ Sambo,

I would 'think' the oem stepper is stronger than your new one. A stepper will hold place unpowered if it is large enough. If you have room, fit a bigger one, if you have not enough room, you will need to fit it with an encoder, and a mini circuit so that it will 'know' if has backed off due to resistance, and be returned to the correct location by the control circuit. Also, a stepper will skip if the initial load is high, and generally get confused(lost steps)

Edit, just saw your other post - you got it sorted.

Brian,

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for your input Brian :)

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I need to come back and have a look at Brian's posts properly later on once some work is out of the way but just to say that if nobody else comes up with a simpler, more immediate solution for controlling that stepper manually for doing your initial tests (e.g. an off-the-shelf unit, perhaps like the test unit you've been loaned) then I'd be happy to grab the boards mentioned above (Arduino Uno/Mega + stepper driver add-on) and write a simple bit of code to give control via some pushbuttons or suchlike.

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Yes indeed, should be pretty straightforward.

My only concern is if the stepper is strong enough - Im sure it is, but if it wasnt some form of feedback would be nice. For example, knowing that the pin is infact extended and that the stepper has in fact done x amount of steps to get it there and not just skipped, or ignored any. Its gets complex then though, as a rotary encoder is needed.

Im sure it will be fine though.

Brian,

7. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Great stuff thanks lads

Trev i can buy any parts you need just let me know

Oem stepper motor is a very strong motor lots of torque!

8. Trev16v

I've made a mental note to select and buy the appropriate boards for this over the coming weekend if you'd still like to go ahead! Shouldn't take long to write a bit of code to give you manual controls from say a couple of pushbuttons. That can just the the start of it and more clever stuff can be added into the code later. One question - do you happen to have a spare stepper motor kicking around that I could test with? Or perhaps could it be possible for me to get hold of my own Haldex oojamaflip that has the stepper in it?

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Trev, yea sounds good to me!

If you are struggling to get hold of astepper motor i can soon send you full haldex ecu with motor in it so you can have a gander?

That you will also experience the stiffness of the spring inside acting on the pin driven by stepper motor so you will know what i mean about having to overcome its force to keep pin extended :)

Let me know bud

10. Trev16v

That would be cool - I'd assure you I'd take care of it and return it as soon as I (hopefully) have the oojamaflip working to control it.

Where are you based, BTW?

11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

S h itty Blackpool !!

12. Trev16v

Haha, just watching "999: What's Your Emergency" featuring just the very place... :lol:

OK - I'll ensure I get a stepper driver board + Arduino selected this weekend and grab 'em off eBay.

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, fully aware of the program but point blank refused to watch it as it makes my blood boil just going of comments from people i know talking about it!!

I'l remove spare haldex ecu tmrw ready for tests :)

14. Trev16v

Are you still going ahead with this project?

15. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Indeed i am Trev!

You want me to send you haldex ecu or just the motor?

16. Trev16v

You have a spare motor do you? I reckon that's all I'd need. I'll then get hold of one of those boards and write some code to control it :)

17. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

watching...:thumbup:

18. Trev16v

Pervert! :o :lol:

Yeah it would be awesome to help with this. I actually thought about it again because looking at some stepper motor control boards in Maplin reminded me of it.

19. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

lol lol

20. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I dont have a spare motor but have whole working haldex ecy, i can whip motor out and send it to you, once we are finished with it i can put it back in the ecu in case i need it :)