Diy Haldex controller........Haldex Controller taken apart with pics

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by sambo, May 11, 2013.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah that could work out. I promise not to hold onto it for more than say a week. When I know it's on it's way I could get the bits ordered.

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

No rush for it bud

PM me your address pls Trev and i'l post it to you this w-end if i get a min to take ecu apart, unless you want the whole lot?

3. Trev16v

Whatever's easiest for you really - if you want to send the whole unit with the motor inside for me to open and remove, I'm happy to do so :)

Will PM you now.

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

This is why I love this place. :thumbup:

5. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

6. AjVR Forum Member

I think the spring could also be there to make sure that when you turn the car on the valve is always in the same place.

Otherwise the stepper may try and turn when its already fully open and damage the motor.

On my current car the setup is an on/off switch on the dash.... will have a look into how its wired.

7. Eson_ New Member

haldex controller

Hello guys is there any progress in the controller ? Have been thinking of building my own controller, but i dont have the skills to make it :thumbd: And the one thats awaible to buy is way to expensive in my opinion :/ thats why it would be so nice to make these conrollers by yourself, much cheaper and more people can afford it :)
    I have some plans on my vw mk3 vr6 syncro. Turbo kit is the first step and not to much power, have been reading about he syncro drivetrain and it can handle up to 300bhp without ruin anything. of course another clutch will be fitted to. Second step is to do a haldex conversion to the 6speed 02m gearbox and haldex rear diff, and build a engine that can handle alot more power [:D]

sorry for my bad english i hope you understand it anyway ;)

Best regards Eson_ from sweden !

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Totally my fault as iv failed to deliver my ecu to Trev! Now i am off work i PROMISE to get it sent to Trev to have this sorted as soon as he can :)

9. Trev16v

Hey no worries! Will be good to work on this early in the new year.

10. Eson_ New Member

sound great guys :) Will be following the progress and try to learn =)

11. kloyvd New Member

How is this project going? I would be a potential customer ;)

12. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Trev now has a spare Haldex controller so its up to him now to find time to get stuck into it :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The point with the failsafe/ return spring is a good one, the orignal controler would always know the position of the control pin when the motor is unpowered, basically resetting it after every torque request for the rear wheels.

Good luck Trev!.

14. Peter Jones Forum Member

Just a thought guys, I'd suspect the Haldex might be PWM controlled. Like an Idle control solenoid.

Varying pulse length would hold the valve open at different positions against the spring tension.

It might be of interest to take a look at how SQS does it. They have a manual valve that you set to once to adjust it and then you basically turn the pump on and off.

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/314:406:haldex-regulator-controler-valve

15. micky1 Forum Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  16. Trev16v

Sambo handed the unit to me at the Bedford track day but it's still in the back of the Corrado. I'm going to try to get to have a look at it at the weekend.

sambo and jamesa like this.
  17. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I have recently installed and tested my haldex controller on my Lupo and it is working perfectly

Basically i have removed spring from the controll pin and drive it by oem stepper motor

Clutch pack locks up nicely once pump is switched on and controll pin is extended :)

Once Trev makes a stepper motor driver i will try it on on my haldex controller and compare it to my existing motor driver and if successfull we can get on making more

It would be even better if Trev will manage to make stepper motor driver that can hold motor position against spring pressure then it can be used on unmodified ecu-s which would be easier to install and use

jamesa likes this.
  18. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Trev, have you had a go at this yet ? :)

19. Trev16v

As it happens, over the weekend just gone I grabbed it from the workshop and put it on my desk as a reminder to start work on it when I'm back at home. So within a few days I hope to have ordered whatever boards I need to control the stepper.

I know that moving it from my workshop to the desk in the house isn't much progress but... it's progress. :lol:

sambo likes this.
  20. sambo Paid Member Paid Member