DIY quick-shift linkages mk2

Discussion in 'Engines' started by squibby, Nov 7, 2003.

1. squibby Forum Member

I want to do a DIY short shift on my mk2 1.6. I've been told its easy to make your own by 'modifying' a part(s) of the gear linkage. One of you must have done this before. Here's a photo taken from just above the gearbox. Can you tell me which linkage and what to do with it? [:s] [:?:]

[​IMG]

2. Andy99 Forum Member

you may as well buy the trimsport one for 15 quid. it work fine.

If you do want to make your own you need to fabricate a metal plate to move the hole [on the right of the pic with the bush/split pin through] further down the upright metal arm.

OR

on the horizontal arm to the left of the pic you simply move the hole [that the shift rod goes through]back towards the bulkhead so it moves in a smaller arc therefore reducing the throw of the gear shift.

Either way you want to fit a weighted shift rod from a mk3 golf[NON GTI/VR6 spec as they had cable change] gear linkage to smoot things out.

3. smithy Forum Member

Make the selector arm on the gearbox shorter. I cut mine down and moved the bush bit further down and re-welded it. Spose you can just bend it though. Took me about 30 mins on a sunday when I was bored.

4. squibby Forum Member

Thanks Andy99. :) I think you helped me last time smithy, but when I popped the bonnet on a boring sunday afternoon I still didn't have a clue what was what. You really have to spell it out for me [:o)] selector arm, is that the one on the right? shift rod, thats the long link in the middle? which of Andy99 sugestions would be best? [:s]

5. squibby Forum Member

I'll put it a different way then. I think I'll go for taking the upright bit off (selector arm?) and drilling the hole for the shift rod lower down. I understand I may have bend it slightly also.

How low down should I drill the hole?[:?:]
    Can I make my own weighted shift rod?[:?:]
    If so how heavy? [:?:]
    Thanks

6. destructiv dave Forum Member

Probably best off making a weighted one or modifyng one as the short shift I have on me Mk2 (hole further down on the selector rod by the gearbox), causes the weighted rod to catch on the gearbox.

7. squibby Forum Member

how much lower down is the hole destructive dave?

8. Dunk New Member

Squib - I did this on my gbox, the part you want to modify is the bent flat part directly above the timestamp in your pic. you want to bend it from this shape:
    |
    \
    \
    |
    to this shape:

|
    |__
    |

and then drill a new hole about 10-15mm lower and re-fit the plastic collar into the new hole, you'll be amazed at the difference!!
    Edited by: Dunk

9. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Just buy the damn trimsport one for a measly 15!!! I shall be doing this on my mk2 at xmas I think. Not sure on the box yet though... hmmmm decisions... [:^:]

10. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Or do what I did and find two down my local breakers yard [:^:]

11. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Don't bother buying a quickshift kit, spend your money on a steel bearing linkage kit - like what tsr do.

Fit that, then it's dead easy to put a new (13mm) hole further down the selector arm (on the right) on the angled bit closer to the pivot - that way you get the same degree of rotation on the selector arm, for less movement. No cutting, no welding, no bashing stuff with a hammer [:^:]

If you're still puzzled, I'll take a photo of mine, but that'll mean hauling my lazy arse down to the garage with my camera....

(p.s. Andy99 -you got it the wrong way round - you need to lengthen the relay arm & shorten the selector arm)

12. Admin Guest

paid about 30 for mine! [:x] and forgot to take it out my old golf before scrapping it! you may as well put in the weight shift as well.....
    Edited by: Dave

13. VeeDub_RS Forum Member

you could also get one from a early mk3 gti which also happens to be weighted, think axelfoly got one on his mk2 driver.

14. squibby Forum Member

My local scrappers try and rip me off everytime. I'll be meaking my own weighted rod. Got some lead to do it with. 2KG isn't it? As for modifying the gear selector... there's some satisfaction to be gained by making something better by bashing it with a hammer. Had I got anything neater then a golf driver i would fork out for the proper stuff.