Dodgy driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Its been a long time coming, planning and collecting parts, trying to knock little bits off this week in the evenings as I'm having to work a full weekend this one.
    Managed to get front light/front panel modified and bolted to investigate intercooler fitment.
    I've used the brace from fabless manufacturing in canada, seems to be a good solution.
    Sorry no pictures tonight.
    Do have a question, what radiator have people used in their conversion, I've read mk2 1.3, mk2 16v, and corrado vr6. Plus hoses?
    Would like to stay mk2 if possible, corrado vr6 appears megabucks too.
    Cheers Dave

2. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

i used a normal 16v one with a single fan on the back, never had any issues with temperatures.
    i never liked the g60/corrado rad as its pipe work comes out the top and just looks a bit messy

this is an old pic but the pipe work set up is the same:
    Green is the upper rad hose, Yellow is the lower
    pipes are a mixture of old 8v and agu pipes i had, the upper is cut and joined to get the angles, but can always be improved

[​IMG]Capture by Laxadams, on Flickr

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Thanks, was thinking 16v due to size and should be ok with intercooler too, slim fan I presume?
    What's the purple line?

4. cupracraig

yeah you can probably keep the original fan cowl but it would be tight.

you can just make out a universal bracket and slim fan wired into the existing loom. nothing fancy going on, uses the temp sensor in the rad to activate the fans like it normally would.. Dont stick it on a switch in the car like some do

dodgy likes this.
  5. cupracraig

oh the purple line is the metal coolant pipe around the engine and feeds the internal fan heater

6. Peter Forum Member

If it is of any use the Corrado VR6 fan shroud is shared with the Seat Toledo 357121207F and they generally go for a lot less. That said when I enquired with Fabless I don’t think their cross member is compatible with the Corrado fan shroud (from what I recall they suggested their fan shroud and Spal fans with a stock MK3 VR Rad). This was all for a VR however there may be more space with a 20vt

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

Ah, nice one.
    I've just ordered a mk2 16v radiator, so will check space and hoses when arrived.
    Think the fabless crossmember has modified brackets for mk3 radiator, believe to do deeper? And so lower bottom mount points.
    What I have is the front panel brace triangle and it gets rid of the bulky pressed metal standard one, and so frees up space for intercooler, I'd like to stay small bumper really, or suppose go 'Full on Hot wheels ' style and just hang it out front, haha.
    Thanks guys.

cupracraig likes this.
  8. dodgy

Grabbed a few hours on the golf this afternoon, worked all day yesterday and this morning too, cant believe how many people want new kitchens.
    Got the fuel tank swapped for a mk3 gti one, mk4 fuel filter and audi A3 fuel lines replacing the original ones.
    Bracket made to mount the filter, new flexi hoses made up from the tank to filter, and engine fuel pipes shortened to meet pushfit joints.
    Back box trial fitted, investigating radiator pipes,
    And had to tell two of the cats for playing in the road.
    Not too bad considering I'm pooped.

Attached Files:

afbiker02, cupracraig and PhilRyder like this.
  9. Peter Forum Member

Coming along really well (although the last picture is my favourite :lol:) exhaust looks great I really like the cut tailpipes, after market exhausts were generally rolled tips (DTM aside) when I did my last, much prefer the cut style
    I'll be following your clutch conversion as I'd like to go the same route eventually, do you think the clutch master will be hidden by the lower plastic dash trim? do you know where you'll be mounting the fluid reservoir?

dodgy likes this.
  10. dodgy

The trackslag exhaust is a nice piece of work, they do different tips, and slant oem style.
    I think the cylinder will be hidden when the plastic is back, I'll have a look tomorrow night if get chance.
    The cylinder is fed from the brake reservoir, I fitted a mk3 one with the focus cylinder so all I need to do is chop the end off the spur and put a flexi pipe in through the bulkhead, hole is already there, the braided hose to the slave cylinder goes out through the hole that the clutch cable passes out of.
    Hel made me a custom line for that, have used them for braided lines a lot, very helpful company.
    In other golf news, the new radiator arrived, its massive, dont think I could sensibly use it and an intercooler, so I've put the original in place to measure up, and managed to sort hoses to suit, well except the expansion bottle, which may get moved to drivers side, undecided on that.
    The brakes have been dug out ready to fit due to the vr6 5x100 swap, 256 vented rears on 9n hubs (further to my rear conversionfew weeksago!), and leon cupra R fronts 323 mm 4 pots.

Attached Files:

11. dodgy

Messing about with an intercooler that's been in the garage for ages, too deep and pushes radiator backwards, so will order a smaller one. But pipe run looks reasonable, cut some mdf template bends to play with.
    Rad hoses mocked up, and expansion bottle moved to offside, slim fan(s) required.
    Only bit I thought of earlier is that I may have to lose the spotlight grille due to space

Attached Files:

Vinnie likes this.
  12. dodgy

Collected wing yesterday and front panel, straight and white now.
    Smaller intercooler arrived and fits better, definitely losing spotlights though. Pipe run very straightforward luckily, trimming of front panel near headlights, but 90° lines up perfectly on drivers side and a U at other end.

Attached Files:

NateS2 and Peter like this.
  13. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

That intercooler looks great, shame it won't be seen.

dodgy likes this.
  14. dodgy

True Phil, but the exhaust will make up for it.
    Really pleased with how it tucks in the grille aperture, didnt manage to get play time today, but might get pipework sorted tomorrow.

15. cupracraig

its a good place to mount the cooler for decent air flow but i don't tink you will be able to run the spotlights with it there?

dodgy likes this.
  16. dodgy

No, may have to just put LED tape on the grille slats instead ;)

17. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Got to be Knight Rider lights......:lol:

18. cupracraig

if it's not got a Train Horn, i'll be a little upset

19. dodgy

General lee one on the polo, may swap it

20. dodgy

Spent some time on the car today, no real visual change but managed to mount the intercooler properly, front panel chopped to accommodate pipework, radiator bracket made to move one bottom mount inwards for clearance, outer cv replaced on passenger side and the brembos bolted up with spacer and longer bolts on calipers (after company sent wrong threaded ones), braided mk3 lines fitted with replacement hard pipes where needed, now just need to bleed them.
    New wing bolted up with front apron, needs slight adjustment as hits on the trim and got to refit the arch still. Went to fit the lower plastic grille I got hold of, but seems as my car is a late mk2 the tow eye is the big bumper type and the aftermarket ones only cater for the earlier versions, so will get the slip disc on grinder and modification will follow.
    Lots of little bits sorted, but doesn't look like much, still pooped following diy yesterday and 20hr Somerset run Friday.

Attached Files:

cupracraig and Peter like this.