Dodgy driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Lights on relay fitted and wired, auxiliary water pump relay fitted and wired, both work as should but may look for another buzzer relay as it sounds like something from Alcatraz, it's a number 36 at the moment, unsure what a direct swap would be?
    Pump runs on ignition, and 10 minutes after turning off.
    Radio wired to the ignition now too, has the wire for 'key in' power, but not getting any output from it, odd.
    Lower dash reinstalled on driver side, had to chop into the booklet area to clear clutch cylinder, and around accelerator pedal as its mk4 leccy one.
    Bit more tesa tape ordered to wrap the additional loom for pump in engine bay.
    Mfa plug to fusebox installed , just in case get dash at some point, or the mk3 one has it if use that, just future possibilities, plus dont lose the wires too.
    Car is looking less of a shed inside now, so must be going right direction.

cupracraig, Savagesam and Vinnie like this.
  2. dodgy

Interior trim reinstated, well couple clips to sort but nothing major, wires back where should be and just the aerial wiring to run to the back on other side now. Pump cover screwed on in boot, and a bit of a tidy up.
    Hopefully bits will arrive tomorrow so can wrap extra wires in engine bay.
    Found some steel flat bar in shed so can look at making a bracket from where the coolant reservoir was originally to hold the maf and air filter, was trying to avoid repositioning the washer bottle but think it will be a squeeze for room, I may be able to trim the neck on the k&n for a little more clearance.

Have a question regarding the light in the boot, basically my car is a Driver so lower spec, I've fitted a pair of gti shelf support sides so now have a boot light on passenger side, but not wired in. So is there the wiring to plug it in, or do I need to run a supply and earth with/via the switch, should have looked when did the shocks, but didnt think of there being a light until was all back together.
    Got to meter the foglight switch as doesn't appear to work since putting wiring back in, fitted a relay instead of the jumper and now no light on switch.

cupracraig and Vinnie like this.
  3. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Coming along now mate lovin the progress

dodgy likes this.
  4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The light is for the pressure switch on the end of the shelf support, once the switch is open, the light comes on.

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

Aye, just wondering if loom has connector in it for +ve or if I have to run a supply back to it,

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mine definitely has wiring in the rear half of the loom. Even my CL had it

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

I'll dig deeper tomorrow and hopefully plug it all in, cheers

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes look behind the carpet passenger side you'll find a 2 pin plug with red and brown wires thats for the boot light

for the washer tank look at mk4 golf it fits pretty nice on the driver side

dodgy likes this.
  9. dodgy

@rubjonny thanks for the tip on washer bottle, will try get one and have a look.
    I'll take the covers off in boot and run the aerial wire plus find the supply. Cheers

10. dodgy

Little update, have been a little slow recently due to work and house projects but managed a few things ticked off the list.
    Breather pipes replaced, took longer to gain access to it than to do it.
    Maf mounted and air filter clears everything.
    Still have to bleed the clutch, hopefully tomorrow.
    New front bumper arrived and will swap it over and get the headlight and auxiliary pump loom clipped back while it's off, will have to get a red vinyl stripe to reinstate it on the bumper, but will be ok.
    ECU is mounted, used a fabia bracket mounted with a strap to wiper motor bracket so can now put the scuttle cover on when the paint has dried on it to tidy it up a little.
    Seem to be on track for imminently getting it on the road, have to make two straps to hold fuel lines where mk2 pump would have been and a guard plate for the lines from the filter. Slight exhaust leak in engine bay but haven't quite put pinpointed it, possibly turbo to downpipe, and a little more thermal insulation to go around master cylinder and brake pipe on passenger side of bay.

Attached Files:

cupracraig, PhilRyder and Vinnie like this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like it's dangerous close to being a goer?!

dodgy likes this.
  12. dodgy

Very, know there will be some bits to sort when start driving it, but its almost ready.
    Also won a 2 light grille on ebay not far from where I used to live so will collect that in 2 weeks when down in Somerset, has a top grille spoiler with it, plus have a set of big bumpers to collect too when on my travels.

13. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Exciting stuff :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  14. dodgy

Weather is awful, not a huge amount to report.
    MGF is tucked away in the garage now I've tidied up, green golf has finally given up the secret to the two electrical issues that I could never seem to get to the bottom of, temp gauge and reverse lights, first was a split in insulation on the wire, had let water in and corroded the copper inside, rewired it with correct colour from spares box, and the towbar wires had been reconnected wrongly when the sprayshop refitted rear lights and caused a short on the reverse lights so it blew the fuse when selected.
    20210808_172140.jpg
    My golf has had a couple bits screwed back on, and bonnet stripes removed, almost road ready.

15. PhilRyder

You are not wrong about the weather!! At least you are getting some results though :thumbup:

16. dodgy

Chipping away slowly, not long now.

Vinnie likes this.
  17. dodgy

Taxed it last night, drove it to work today.
    Few little points to sort, but I will say I'm shocked at how rapid it is.
    So here's the snagging list...
    1, Fuel gauge not working, fixed, earth problem.
    2, Exhaust blows, near turbo when cold, will investigate further to pinpoint.
    3, Front wheels scrub a little, will roll arches next week, or possibly raise suspension on front?
    4, Brakes are okay, the pedal is a little long, which it wasn't beforehand, will bleed them with fresh fluid again, But the vac hose from inlet plenum goes straight to servo, no one way valve by the look of it so will get one and fit to see if alters.
    5, Front plastic trim by dipstick touches top radiator hose occasionally, Fixed, spacers under trim raised to clear.
    6, Grin still on face, may take a while to remove.

Interior to tidy and aerial wires to hide, but that's not major.
    Proper job.

Really cannot thank everybody enough for all the help, advice and encouragement for the project, putting up with my daft questions and giving me the clarity for a reasonably straightforward swap.
    Great forum, good friends.

Still loads to do, and evolution to consider (of the car, not we all came from a monkey called spank)

Cheers Dave

costel1969, cupracraig and PhilRyder like this.
  18. jshep73 Forum Member

Nice work Dave, which engine code and turbo do you have? And is the ECU standard?

19. PhilRyder

:lol:

dodgy likes this.
  20. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

nice one Dave!

dodgy likes this.