Dodgy driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

looks really good Dave, nice and neat install

dodgy likes this.
  2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, tried to keep it simple and straightforward, got to grab some more clips and bits at the breakers to tidy few things.

3. dodgy

Found why the suspension was low on the front, top mounts had separated, these were new when I put the shocks on, not many miles if driving.
    New lemforder ones ordered, so should be here when get back from seeing my son.
    In the meantime I've put the coilovers on, wound up to a decent height, will see how it is with them.
    But also have a flat battery, haven't driven the car this week due to work requirements, plus was doing bits with steering wheel, radio and other wiring so drained it a little, and seems my battery charger has given up the ghost so off to get one tomorrow after work.

Just looked back, the shocks were changed in march, then came off the road in beginning of may for the swap, think it's only been since I put the engine in that the suspension was low, and even before driving it, top mounts are marked meyle so must be one to avoid from now on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    erreesse likes this.
  4. dodgy

No photos I'm afraid yet, but spent yesterday around the scrapyards.
    Have managed to get a few bits, set of mk5 golf leather seats destined for my mk2 when I work out subframes, so the sparco r100 will go up for sale in a while.
    Another set of the 3 ce2 plugs for engine swaps, various relays, holders and plugs for tidying little bits on the mk2, and as spares.
    Got set of sharan/galaxy side window motors in case anyone wants a set to do pop outs like @cupracraig did on his mk2.
    Some things I had planned to get had gone, but that's the joy of it I suppose, fresh mk3 estate had come in, and some newer vag stuff.

5. dodgy

Went out to go to the local garage this afternoon, and battery is flat, had it on charge and it's not done anything, could possibly have been the boot light so disconnected that, cant think of anything else changed electrically to cause it.
    Top shock mounts have arrived, but been busy with decorating two rooms in the house including new flooring, skirting and furniture revamp so haven't had chance to do anything in the garage.

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Those r100’s are nice, have I missed them in the thread?

7. dodgy

May have put them in some other rambling,
    But basically I bought them brand new for my mini, as they were the only recliner except cobra le mans that would fit really. Drove it to test station, and work once, then the mot tester asked if I wanted to sell it, minus seats as he wanted lowback buckets.
    So I then bought genuine sparco mounts for the mk2 and fitted them in that.
    Cost me best part of 700 for seats and subframes.
    Really comfortable seat, wish I had bit the bullet few years ago and got some for my bmw mini.
    Leia even helped with the fitting. The driver seats are in Allie's golf now and improved the comfort.
    But they will be coming out soon I suspect.

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  8. Savagesam

They would be lovely with the centre returned in Golf stuff. Do they sit really tall? Doesn’t look so tall there

9. dodgy

They are nice height in the golf, my headliner is sagging again, but mrs Dodgy is nearly a foot shorter than me. Plus after the spine op needs something squidgy.
    Pic in the mini

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  10. Savagesam

They’re lovely. Would look great in the R53 Mini too. So versatile

dodgy likes this.
  11. dodgy

Yeah had the r55 clubman, seats in it were naff, was one of the reasons we got rid of it after mrs C had 3 vertebrae removed to get to the cord it was too harsh for her, so we got the sofa like A4 estate.
    Did consider a set of jcw or gp seats for it though.

12. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

They look lovely.

dodgy likes this.
  13. dodgy

Not much time spent on the golf this week, did manage to pop a boost pipe off coming out of work,
    So got that back on, will get some nicer silicone elbows if happens again. Also rewired the after run pump relay to one of the mk3 extra sockets I got at the breakers last week to beaten up the fusebox area.
    A few parts have arrived and need to fit them, along with a replacement set of number plates as the front one was cracked when I got the car, and ended up not surviving the bumper swap in a healthy state.
    Think I've worked out a loom for the planned seat swap, just have a few bits to get for that.
    Managed to crack the windscreen on by boys polo by clouting the mirror with my head, suppose that it will get rid of the scratches but an extreme way to do it.

Not sure if anyone can help with this though, was looking for switches on line, and I'm unsure what this one is for... Screenshot_20210912-212932_AliExpress.jpg
    My son suggested it was K9

14. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I can see where he's going....

Is it something like a back-light for when you're off dogging? :lol:

dodgy and Vinnie like this.
  15. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Well, I saw this beast at the weekend. An excellent install, looks like it belongs. And, the short blast we had was very impressive.
    Great work Dave :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  16. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

The symbol may mean that the switch disables the interior sensor(s) of an alarm, so that pets can be left in the vehicle without setting it off. It's a new one to me, though. The symbol, I mean - the more official one as fitted in Golf 4 onwards shows radio/ultrasound waves

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    dodgy likes this.
  17. dodgy

Good to catch up, thank you for the kind words, need to finish tidying the wires inside but will do that when seats come out.

That's a clever idea..

18. dodgy

Been working hard and decorating still plus waiting for parts to arrive, but these turned up yesterday,
    Got too dark for pictures last night, so just took some for you all to see.
    20210921_190830.jpg
    Mk1 TT Black leather seats, fitted to 53fab subframes. Height adjustable too, plus when I get a pair of passat switches I'll wire them up so they are heated as well.
    Match the vr6 rear seat in style too, just have to dye the yellow panels to black.
    Next interior mod will be door panels and headlining I think, the repair with spray glue on the sagging rear vinyl hanging from the roof didn't stand the hot weather and being shut up while off the road.
    The green golf will get the driver door panels to match my old seats that went into it, so I have a set of early full tweed cloth panels to play with, going to think about it, like the vinyl tops of mine, have an idea, but not 100% sure yet... Stay tuned. 20210921_190918.jpg

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  19. dodgy

Teeny update, was away at weekend so gathering parts.
    Got some heated seat switches and plugs, mk4 golf I think will be the ones I use, but also have a set of mk1 TT ones which pop out and turn which I like, have to work out position and fitting method, was looking for 99 passat ones as they are correct orientation to go in the dash, but think they are same size body as the mk4 switch so a little too big.
    Loom can be soldered up when I decide on position and can get the lengths.
    Got the engine cover clip I needed, fitted.
    Picked up a polo 6n2 gearknob and perforated leather gaiter and just braved the weather and swapped it in to the car, bit dark for pics I'm afraid.
    Hopefully will get chance to work on the car this week as there's a small local car show on Sunday so plan on going to that.

Tristan likes this.
  20. dodgy

Friday is earlier finish at work, and weather was not great, but not horsing it down so had a chance to get the shocks back on the front finally replacing the (temporary) coilovers that went on after the front mounts perished.
    New lemforder G60 top mounts fitted to the bilsteins and then put back on the car, suspension height looks right again, hopefully these will be better than the new mounts fitted previously.
    Photos are not the best, but had me tea first. 20211001_192222.jpg 20211001_192313.jpg

costel1969, Vinnie and PhilRyder like this.