Dont buy a Lupo GTI!

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by cliveyp, Jun 1, 2005.

1. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

well i've had a look on our polo with 14,000 on the clock and there's no real amount of wear on the disk, looks like the dealers having you on

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

all new cars use discs and pads like you and i eat toast....owned my 2000 punto for a 3 years and went through two sest of shoes, 3 sests of pads, and 2 sets of discs.

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i got 9k outta 2 sets of pagid fr pads and a set of zimmerman x-drilled discs

4. DODGER Forum Member

I changed my old mans discs today on his mx5 2 years and 10k after the dealer said they needed replacing. They were a bit rusty but not that worn. 26k. I guess all dealers are a bunch of w*n*ers :lol:

5. Steve B Forum Junkie

as said above they will probably pull out some really f**ked ones they have somewhere, if i were you id tell em to feck off and drive out of the place pay em for the pads and the service and tell em to feck off on the brakes, theivin bastar ds

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Load of rubbish.

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Not all, just most:lol:

8. Mr Pearl Grey Forum Member

One dealer tried this with our Lupo 1.4. I told them to get stuffed, took it to the dealer I bought the car from and they said they are fine. I now take it to a guy I trust for it's servicing etc and it's done a further 10k miles on them and he says the pads will last until the next service.

9. vrooooom Forum Member

It's all a big con. My ex polo went through no disks or pads and had 36k on it when i sold it.

Unless u drive like a nutter all the time, on new cars you should get at least 30k out of a set of disks and pads.
    It's the way they are designed to give LONGER service intervals, which is one of the marketing peoples selling points for the cars in the first place.

The only real differecnce against the likes of a mk2 are that newer cars have pads that are harder and tend to wear out the disks at an similar rate.
    ABS and electronic aids (ESP)also play havoc with the brakes as well.

10. cliveyp Forum Member

Well i've managed to find a few things out. One, the pads were fecked, completely, but IMO thats no surprise for 20k. Discs hardly look worn............BUT....... they start at 25mm thick, and have a minimum limit of 23mm! 2mm wear??? No wonder new cars eat discs as far as the dealers are concerned!! [8(]

I will be contacting VW at some point to show how disappointed we are with them and their safety limits, but its not going to make any difference. At least the missus learnt the lesson not to go ahead and tell them to do it. Next time shes going to let me change them!

11. mikeydee Forum Member

im glad im looked at this part,my service is due soon although i have a mk4 golf.probably try the same thing on me. thanks every body:)