Driveshaft lengths (bare driveshaft lengths) ** wanted **

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, Feb 2, 2008.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The left is the same part number as the vr6 passat so that might help.;)

2. kells Forum Member

still trying to work out if i can use the mk4 ones (including CV) on my mk3 russ

3. danster Forum Addict

Bump for old post.

This different part number may be down to the fact that all 4 stud Raddos I have come across (3 of them, both early and late) use a solid shaft on the OS rather than a tubular one.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yah that would make sense as from all the info i can find the 100mm shafts are the same length 020 and 02a :thumbup:

5. danster Forum Addict

Here is a late 1993 2.0 9A Corrado engine bay showing the solid OS shaft. Have seen the same fitted to G reg 1.8 models too.

[​IMG]

6. coupechamp Forum Member

Hi all, going to go back through this thread, but basically need to get a shorter O.S shaft for race polo, currently its this: 6Q0407272DH (666mm) but would like to have a couple of slightly shorter options. Currently have an issue with it popping out on the outer cv, as we have changed angles as well as lowered the car more. :thumbup:

7. mk2bal Forum Member

Bump! Just gone to fit mk3 non-turbo diesel shafts to an 02j with 02a cups , and noticed they have 90mm inner cv's fitted vs the required 100mm. Couldnt swap my mk2 16v 100mm cv's over as the shorter shaft splines wouldnt allow it to go on enough to fit outer circlip. The '96 diesel box was an 020 style, and although havent measured bare shaft length Im assuming theyre longer as it has longer wishbones than mk2 (confirmed)

8. rubjonny

yes n/a diesel have 90mm shafts, you need td, tdi or 1.8 petrol shafts. 2.0 8v vento & cabrio 4 stud ones will do as well. i think 5 stud mk3 shafts are same length too, just need to fit 100mm 4 stud outer cvs on. ALL mk3s are wide track, regardless of what engine is fitted so they all have longer shafts than mk2

9. mk2bal Forum Member

You say 'all mk3 shafts are longer', but you 'think' 5 stud mk3 are longer too. Do you mean spline length or actual shaft length? Not nit picking just trying to clarify? I have access to mk3 16v shafts, its just whether the mk2 16v outer cvs will swap over to them??

10. Admin Guest

I run mk2 4 stud widetracked, I used mk3 4stud wishbones and mk3 16v shafts refitted with my mk2 CVs, the shafts are longer than mk2 and worked out the extra length was about the same as what the wishbones added.

11. mk2bal Forum Member

great thats how I plan to do mine. cheers

12. rubjonny

what I meant was that I'm not sure if mk3 4stud 100mm shafts are the same length as mk3 5 stud 100mm shafts, but they are both definitly longer than mk2! there wont be much in it but no-one has measured mk3 100mm shafts yet so far as I know so we cant confirm if they are the same length as 5 stud ones. the mk3 5stud shafts will take 4 stud outer cvs for sure, and the inner cs are same for 4 and 5 stud so no need to mess with those.

in short you will most likely be fine, but i wont take responsibility if your cvs eat themselves :lol:

13. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Bit of a thread revival......

I'm going to be running a 02K in my Mk1 that has been rebuilt using 8v GTI 3rd & 4th and 16v 5th, Quaife 020 LSD and 100mm output flanges. I can confirm that this configuration also measures 250mm across the output flanges as the 020 with 100mm flanges.

I am planning to widetrack as will be running Berg arches so am just trying to work out which shafts to use along with the 15x7 ET15 wheels to give the correct increase in track......any suggestions considering I'm running 100mm inners? I know Danny suggested a steup but these use 90mm innners I beleive and am not sure what work would be required to fit 100mm inners on the shafts suggested!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  14. rubjonny

shafts will be dependant on what wishbones you will be using, and how they will be fitted to the car

15. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Plan for now is to put spacer plates on to std Mk1 wishbones to move lower balljoint outboard by same amount as track increase, with a view to build rose jointed wishbones in the long term in all likelyhood!

16. rubjonny

reet, what I woudl do is have a shufti in this thread:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?155374

and try to make the spacers roughly the same length of mk2 shafts over mk1 shafts if that makes sense, as these are nice and easy to get hold of. you may have to mix n match shafts though depending on how long you want your spacers to be though (maybe mk3 shafts needed if you're going uber wide!)

17. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Cheers RJ, been looking at my options and reckon Mk3 diesel shorter shaft (like TonyB is using) and Mk2 GTI long 90mm shaft will give me about the right increase once fitted with 100mm. inners to match the flanges on the box......watch this space as they say ;)

18. rubjonny

ha i just realised i posted a link back to this thread, what a dumbass :lol:

19. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Well I picked up a Mk3 diesel short shaft off of nut20v today and have stripped and measured it....454mm total length and 441mm groove to groove.....that'll give an increase of approx 21mm on a Mk1....I was hoping it'd be the same length shaft as the Mk3 1.6 diesel TonyB has used but alas not :(

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  20. rubjonny

mk3 diesels are all 1.9, did you mean you bought a td or tdi shaft? the 1.9 n/a diesel shafts are 90mm so different length to the td and tdi which both use 100mm shafts