DSG: nice box, shame about the shifters.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, May 13, 2018.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Ok, so I have a few track events on my TT now and the sport auto DSG box is way faster than manual shifting.

But the shifters dont help this. The stick shifter is the wrong way round (push forwards for up a gear, and pull back for down a gear....wrong) and the steering column paddles dont really work if you are having to make big steering inputs. They were ace on my Radical as it had a fast steering rack and you could drive without having to move hands, but with a slower road car rack, its too easy to miss a shift.

I dont think there is am easy fix for the paddles situation, maybe bigger paddles, but I doubt it, but im wondering if anyone has come across a ‘dsg stick shifter reverser’?

Ta

Rob

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It can only be a pair of micro switches surely?

3. m1keh Forum Member

The internet appears to believe it is a pair of switches to cover all movements which detect direction. One for fore/aft movement one for side to side. So if you simply "reversed" the fore/aft switch all of the other functions would be upside down also.

With the above in mind I think it would take a software wizard to dissaemble the software and work out if they can offer this option. - Maybe Revo - maybe beyond revo...

A set of these appear to be the easiest option to make the paddles a bit more usable...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shift-Pa...514635?hash=item2f163c514b:g:nDoAAOSwyP5aAAqQ

The other idea I could think of would be to hack into the paddles in the steering wheel and bring out wires to some microswitches and use them as you desire on some kind of external setup. Either to have fixed paddles behind the wheel or another shift lever, in a similar vein of focus rs electronic/hyrdaulic handbrake. However even this option has it's complications as the steering wheel is on a lin bus..

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Rob, alternatively, have a word with Kevin Glover, who does a fair amount of calibration work for the MK5 PGTI series.