EA827 engine family cylinder head matching

Discussion in '8-valve' started by abdelmoneam, Oct 16, 2020.

1. abdelmoneam New Member

peace to you all,

The general idea is to EFI my car and for some legal constraints I'm stuck with my current engine block!
    so I guess the only option left for me is to match the current block with a cylinder head that was equipped / can be equipped with EFI system.

Car is Golf MKII 1986, 1.6L EZ, 2e2 carb.

So far, I'm considering DIY level standalone ECU, and for crank trigger I'll be using 030 103 171L (rear end seal flange with 60-2 trigger wheel)

So, my request is for your recommendation and ideas for matching a proper cylinder head that accommodates intake manifold with injectors and throttle body and hopefully OEM TPS.

cheers,

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the easiest would be mk3 golf 2.0 8v, bolts straight on and inlet has tps

for a little more work a crossflow head ABA if available in your country or MK4 version

3. rubjonny

is the legal restriction down to CC, as in would they strip and check? or is it just the engien code which has to match? if just code, the 1.8 8v crank and pistons will swap straight in. rods are the same either way so pick best nick ones and away you go

4. abdelmoneam New Member

well, the restriction is down to the block serial number itself, they are not gonna check the internals.
    so for the first option of MK3 2.0L 8v head, which engine codes are we talking about?
    as for the 2nd option, crank and piston swaps are easy but what to do after that, same 2.0l mk3 head? and what are the reasons/gains from using cank and pistons of 1.8l (other than the increased capacity and slight power gain)

I apologize for asking novice questions, but not well aware of the those engines yet and I'm trying to educate myself.
    Appreciate the help though.

5. rubjonny

2E has basic TPS throttle and ISV, batch fire injection with a funny plastic fuel tail but you can modify the fuel rail wiring for sequential. AGG and ADY codes have motorised throttle body no ISV and sequential injection with 'normal' fuel rail and injectors. the throttles are still cable control so can just wire up the TPS inside and ignore the motor if your ECU doesnt have capability to control

if you swap the 1.8 crank and pistons into the 1.6 bottom end it makes it the same as a 1.8 carb/GTI block as the block castings are the same. doing this will give you a nice increase in HP and torque. put a mk2 gti head on it and you have a mk2 gti engine with a 1.6 block code ;)

we never bother over here becasue you can just change the block, but its a handy thing you can do in countries with tighter restrictions

erreesse likes this.
  6. abdelmoneam New Member

but does the mk2 gti head (PB) will allow efi conversion?

7. rubjonny

the mk2 throttle body doesnt have a TPS unfortunately except if its automatic, so if you can find an auto 8v/16v throttle that would do you but they're not very common here. the mk3 head would probably be the easier and probably cheaper route, they're very similar to the mk2 head in terms of porting if not the same. the inlet ports are a different shape since the injectors are in the inlet rather than the head.