earliest Mk2 GTI...........unless of course you know different ?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by wishboneash, Feb 14, 2015.

1. dent doc New Member

It's 19e Jon. Thanks for that

2. DanW-B Paid Member Paid Member

Just stumbled across this thread, then had to dig to find my log in details (really should be on here more..) My black A Reg was built May 9th 1984, so whilst not as early as some here it's still up there. Currently gathering parts for it and planning on getting it on the road this summer.

3. bolotxus New Member

4. wishboneash Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for that info Bolotxus.
    My one been used since spring this year, but now in the garage on a SORN til next spring. Mot needed in Feb after 1st Mot for many years last Feb.

5. wishboneash Paid Member Paid Member

6. wishboneash Paid Member Paid Member

7. bolotxus New Member

Nice!
    Mine is Atlas Grey.
    I saw one for sale a few days ago, and I know of one that was scrapped recently because I bought the rear bench seat for the inner seat cover cloth.
    How many of the A-reg GTIs are left, anybody?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  8. bolotxus New Member

BTW, does anyone have any information about the MFA stalk? Part no, colour of the connector etc.

9. wishboneash Paid Member Paid Member

10. bolotxus New Member

That's ALL '84 Mk2 GTIs, not the A-plates, I believe. The internal seat strip, and exterior side strip changed when the B-plates were introduced on 01.08.84.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

early MK2 MFA stalk is the same as MK1 golf, i.e. spindly type with just the mfa button on the end part number 171953519B. these have a white 2 pin plug on it which connects to a mating plug wired directly to the dash clock loom
    82mfastalk.jpg

bolotxus likes this.
  12. jimmy2gti New Member

Hey guys
    I feel lucky to have stumbled upon this thread, as im currently working on an early 1984 MK2 gti. While i was taking it apart i noticed the dates on the back side of the plastic trim, and i was fascinated to see that most of these were made on Dec. 1983 and Jan. 1984, some of them even Nov. 1983.
    My serial is: WVWZZZ19ZEW465018
    It is an Atlas Grey with the original white stripes on it. It has some 356k km on the clock.
    It has stayed in my family since it was 11 years old, when it was imported from Germany to Greece, and it is currently being restored here.

Now im itching to learn more about it :p

13. rubjonny

hello there :)
    So looking at your VIN I can tell you it was made some time in January 1984. Jan started with vin 431737 and ended with 494113 meaning 62376 were made that month. Assuming roughly same number made per day, works out to 17th :)

If you still have the yellow barcode on the front inner wing or sticker in the boot you can decode that to get exact build date. also if the original service book is still in the wallet the build date may be printed on the inside front cover

You can apply for your VW birth certificate here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...ur-volkswagens-birth-certificate-link.211662/

also you can decode some of the option codes here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/vag-option-codes-decoder-list.283422/

jimmy2gti likes this.
  14. jimmy2gti New Member

Thank you John! Unfortunately the sticker on the boot is gone, but I have the barcode on the inner wing. It reads 04-2-1007..... which, should mean, fourth week of January 1984, on Tuesday. (24th) (?)

15. rubjonny

Yep thats right, apparently last set of digits means number of curs to be built that day :thumbup:

jimmy2gti likes this.
  16. coola New Member

I am just finishing the restoration of EW552226. Registered 18/4/84

It is Atlas Grey with red striped interior. I had the cloth flipped in the centre sections of the seats and it has gone from light blue to almost black. Just back from the paint shop after a full respray.

I put the bumpers on today and weather permitting I will do side stripes and arch trims tomorrow. I hope I can claim No2 in the UK and maybe even No1 when it is on the road, if we rank road legal cars.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  17. coola New Member

I put too many twos in my last post. I have edited the above post.

Number is EW552226

18. coola New Member

Could anyone give me an approximate build date for my car? I will get some pictures up when the weather improves.

Thanks in advance.

19. rubjonny

if you check the code on barcode on the inner wing or the top of the options sticker on the boot you can get the exact build date :thumbup:

20. coola New Member

Thanks Jonny

It has the barcode on the drivers side inner wing, but I do not know how to decode it.