Early Corrado seats question ?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by watercooled, Feb 15, 2022.

1. watercooled Forum Member

I have a 89 MY and being a 16V it has the seats as per pic supplied,the G60 version has candy stripe seats the same as the Mk2 GTI ,are the seats I have Recaro's ?,they appear to be different in shape.
    TIA.

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

standard corrado seats. to tell if they're the originals you can check the interior code on the boot sticker. usually the 16v I've seen have grey/light interior rather than black/dark like yours but as its a LHD spec may differ

3. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

The seats in your picture are the early style cloth pattern (pre 92 cars). I'm pretty sure the UK market G60 cars had the same pattern or leather if upgraded. I'm not sure what candy stripe looks like but the American cars got a seat with a stripe on like this Capture.PNG

There are some Recaro seats you can get but the look different and are bloomin expensive.

4. BRI

bri Forum Member

Bit difficult to tell from the picture but to me they look like pre 92 spec standard spec cloth seats code XP or possibly pre 92 G60 cloth seats code XF, the g60 version has a more green effect compared to the standard blue.
    Check the build sticker in the boot for the interior code.

MJA likes this.
  5. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks,seats are coded XP on my service schedule sticker,still wonder if they are Recaro's ???,cheers.

6. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

For what it’s worth, my standard MK2 GTI seats were stamped and stickered Recaro on the frames when I stripped them down. I suspect Recaro made many of the seats, even the poverty spec ones.

7. rubjonny

they arent recaros, as I say bog standard corrado seats. these are the most common type you see around the place, still nice though ;)

as said Recaro/Kieper manufacture the golf/corrado seats including the base ones so you could say they still are I guess. but these are 'proper' corrado recaro seats
    Clipboard01.jpg

8. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks John and others ,yep as I thought,hopefully they won't be total bastards to work on like the recaro's !!!
    My drivers seat is very sad but past owner supplied an old cover in good nick so hopefully I can repair those fabric sections and fix the foam bolsters....upper and lower aren't to flash :(.
    Cheers and thanks.

9. rubjonny

bases are easy to strip and repair, split backrest from base flip upside down and get to work. backrests not so much as the fabric is all one piece so a biut of a chore to remove and refit. not too bad, but proper recaro backrests are easier :lol: