Early Golf Mk2 GTI Instrument Cluster - Help Please

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Somerset Red, May 18, 2020.

1. Somerset Red New Member

Hi there
    Thanks again for getting back to me.
    Please see attached a front rear photo of my instrument cluster (Part No.191919035F) . I have done a bit more investigation since we last spoke and discovered that the foil (Part No. 191919059E) is now obsolete. However, seems to be a few websites that say they have it in stock. Not sure how legit the websites are?
    Personally I think I am going to have to go for broke and buy a new foil?
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks
    Paul

2. Somerset Red New Member

3. Somerset Red New Member

4. Somerset Red New Member

5. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi again and thanks for the pictures! It would appear that your clocks have maybe been repaired before? As they have a VDO foil and speedo but a Motometer rev counter. Or is that normal in very early instruments?

Anyway, as for the foil, I've just searched it and its available on Mecatechnic for 120 euros. These are a french company and I've used them for parts before. You also try giving VW heritage an email and just tell them that you're looking for a VW classic part and give them that part code. If its available they should be able to get it from Germany for you, although the shipping time currently is about 4 weeks.

As an alternative before you do that, I can take a look at them if you like? If I can't get them going I can at least confirm its the foil and I'll just post them back to you and then all you've lost is the postage. If its something else that I can fix I can give a price and get them going for you!

6. Somerset Red New Member

Hi Nate

That is very generous of you. I would be a fool not to accept your kind offer. I assume you won't want to disclose your address on here? My email address is paul.apperley@googlemail.com. I am obviously happy to pay you, if you can fix them.

That was well spotted, re the Motometer Rev Counter. I replaced it a few years ago when the original VDO packed up and managed to get an OEM part from Heritage. Incidentally, did you know you can go direct to Germany? https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/ When I have emailed them in the past the guys in customer service have been excellent. I have also found parts from them direct, which weren't on the heritage site.

With regards to my foil, I have already tried Germany and Heritage, both say it's obsolete.

I will get my instrument cluster boxed up in anticipation! [:D]

Thanks Again

PS I have attached a photo of my old girl. I thought people might want to see her!

7. Somerset Red New Member

8. Somerset Red New Member

9. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I'll drop you an e-mail and we can sort something out :)

Ahh that explains it! And yes actually I got some things from them over Christmas when they had free shipping, really helpful and very fast. I don't use them normally though, especially for small items as 37.50 euros shipping is a bit steep for me [:|]

Very nice car btw! Looks really clean and its even got the swage line decals still!