Early mk2 8v GTI down pipe question

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Cressa, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Gaskets...... so after no time over Christmas I spend today looking for my downpipe to manifold gasket. Finally found a flat gasket with 2 holes in, so that seems good. I also found 4 x manifold to cylinder head gaskets so that seems good too.
    I also have 2 ' C ' shaped clamps which I think I removed from the car but don't know how they fit! And for some reason I thought I saw an o-ring donut sort of metal ring in my gasket set but cant find that..
    Anyway, surely I don't need the donut part as I would need 2.... and I only saw 1.
    And where the hell do these clamps fit !!!
    And why can't I find anything anymore

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Cancel that. 16729512293539031543242315875818.jpg I looked in the Bentley manual. Just having a brain fart day..... although I still think I removed some c- clips from somewhere

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its a really early one it'll have the same design 'toilet bowl' manifold -> downpipe connection as the carb engine cars, so its best to double check before you spend. though I'd take the opportunity to fit the later gti 4-2-1 style as per bentley pic

4. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I remember my 1988 mk2 scirocco gtx having that crappy toilet bowl manifold/downpipe connection with the two spring clips, that went in the bin and on went a 4 branch instead.

5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely NOT a toilet bowl, so my brain must have exploded in thinking I removed some C clips. Still sure I did...... which is worse !!
    I did clean up the downpipe and have painted it with the Eastwoods high temp paint. This really is an easy to use paint that has a great finish. I shall try and post some pics up tomorrow of the finished manifold and downpipe to see what you think.
    Thanks for the replies though

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

This is what I have. All painted and ready to fit when I get some good weather. Hopefully I have everything I need. The downpipe and manifold came up great with the Eastwoods high temperature paint
    Ignore the board still screwed to the downpipe....

Attached Files:

7. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

They look very good, did you sandblast them first ?

8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

The manifold was media blasted and I took some very nasty hard wired brushes on an angle grinder to the downpipe. Got it back to bare metal as they were brutal