Endoscope/borescope recommendations please

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by oldnick, Jul 6, 2019.

1. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Morning all, I want to get a cheap and hopefully cheerful endoscope to use with my phone.
    Currently an iphone, but soon to be Android with a usb-C connector if that's relevant.
    Cheers
    Nick

2. AlanM

AlanM Paid Member Paid Member

Yo Nick
    I bought this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BBNHSGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It cost 36, but there's a cheaper model. This is the deluxe version and comes c/w hook, magnet and 45 deg mirror which attach to the camera. Also has wider focal range: 3cm to 40cm. Most are just 3cm ish. Camera is 7mm dia so fits down spark plug hole nicely. Has variable brightness leds which work well. Connection to your phone is via it's built in wifi, with free apps for both Android and IOS. I used an 8in tablet.

Here is a pic down my motorbike's cylinder to give you an idea of quality. You can record video as well.
    20190530175209.jpg
    The cylinder is full of ATF. Was trying to resolve seized rings due to being monumentally stupid and attacking the seized on exhaust collars & flanges with an angle grinder without stuffing rags into the ports. Didn't work :(. Here's what my bike looks like at mo:
    IMG_5687.JPG
    2 hours on and off in the ultrasonic cleaner has finally sorted the pistons. Interestingly, the oil rings were the last to free up.

3. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Alan, due to time issues I've ordered a cheapy from ebay, I'll report back whether it's any cop or not.

We've all done something daft whilst working on bikes or cars, glad you were able to resolve it for the price of a gasket set :)