Engine fitment mk1

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mk2 nas, Feb 24, 2017.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,
    As above I don't really know what engines go into a mk1 golf without too much trouble.
    At the moment it's the 1600eg.
    Is it possible to put a 2.0 e engine in?[:s]and run k-jet ? Or is a 2.0 digi only.
    I'm not planning a change just yet.just looking for a bigger engine option without mods!
    I know 1800 dx,ev are OK is there any others thanks.:thumbup:

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

9A (Corrado 2.0l) on Kjet ...

mk2 nas likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you keep it 8v you can keep the exhaust side as is, right up to 2.0 8v. if you did go for a 2.0 and wanted to keep it on the kjet then swap a mk1/2 1.8 GTI 8v head on it then you can bolt all the old gear on no problem (2.0 head has different shape inlet ports)

for 16v then you have to buy or make a conversion manifold/downpipe combo, note with the mk3 2.0 16v its a bit taller so most mk1 16v manifolds end up close to the steering UJ boot so take care to do your research when selecting one. mk2 16v & corrado/passat 1.8 KR/PL plus the SEAT ADL 1.8 and corrado/passat/audi 2.0 16v 9a/6a/ace all short blocks so usually no problem with the mk1 16v conversion manifolds. make sure the one you get is designed for RHD fitment though, the cheaper ones are usually LHD imports and again can sit close to the boot

you can run the 16v on kjet as well, just need a few bits n bobs to convert from 8v to 16v plus redo/replace the main fuel lines. heres one I made earlier :lol:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?186766

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    mk2 nas likes this.
  4. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok I have a cylinder head off a 1.8 8v engine code e.v.
    So I can bolt this onto a 2 litre bottom end?
    Sorry for all the q,s I'm just not sure what heads for what blocks.but the head is always the priority to keep same set up
    I'm on(k jet)
    So e.v head will go onto 2.0 block from a mk3? And I take it a 2.0 ltr block still takes 020 box?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Correct :thumbup:

mk2 nas likes this.
  6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok that's sorted that one out.shouldnt be to hard to source a decent 2.0 block there must be loads about.
    That should feel like decent low down grunt after running a 1.6.
    Brakes may not feel to clever with a 2.0.so may have to do them also so may need something better.
    What would be adequate?and could it be just the fronts upgraded leaving the rears as standard drum set up?:thumbup:

7. rubjonny

the 239s do work well if they are in good condition, the usual upgrade route is mk2 16v 22mm master cylinder and a 1.8 8v/16v 9" servo. Need to remove the mk2 the clevis pin and cut the thread down a bit then swap the mk1 pin over, easy enough to figure out while its in bits. The mk2 MC only has the 4 ports on it so you either need T pieces for the pressure switches or add a pedal switch similar to what the late mk1 cab/rocco use.

If you wanted to go up a disc size on the front theres the scirocco 16v/square audi 80 256mm caliper carriers these will take normal mk2 16v calipers (or the ones off the donor if you get a complete set) or theres the vauxhall caliper upgrade route couple sizes for those available 256, 280s or larger, you need the vauxhall flexi lines, vw 4 stud discs plus bolts with a shoulder or sleeves as the holes in the vauxhall calipers are bigger diameter. then theres adaptors you can buy for various 275-280mm brake setups, tsr do ones which allow you to retain the original 239mm calipers, or you can get ones which allow G60/MK3 280mm calipers and carriers to bolt on.

for the rears the drums are plenty good enough once fixed up, but rear disc swap is easy enough if you fancied it.

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

1st and easiest brake upgrade is to fit some expensive proper pads. The difference between motor factors 20 sets and, say, Ferodo DS2500 at about 90 is unreal. Easy, cheap, quick.
    Jon

mk2 nas likes this.
  9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Often wondered weather expensive disks pads really do make a big difference.but like a lot in life you get what you pay for.
    At 90 for pads they not 90 for no good reason.
    I think I would try first new disks,expensive pads,new brake fluid,and new m/c (precautionary)that may feel like enough.
    If not then onto another route!
    Back to 2.0 engine blocks.are all 2.0 blocks taller as I read it somewhere.
    What block code should I be looking for?:thumbup:

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

See rubjonny`s advice in post 3 regarding the short blocks (NB: KR is 1800cc).

(I have a 9A in my Mk1 with a 020 FD casing)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    mk2 nas likes this.
  11. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Yes seen that now overlooked it b4.9a,6a,ace,adl,kr:thumbup:
    Cheers all for you help,would be well p***ed off if I went ahead done something and it didn't work out.
    Good job there's plenty of know how on here[:D]

12. rubjonny

quick edit to that, kr and adl are 1.8 lumps, added the 1.8 pl one as well to the list :)