Engine light on - Codes

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Mk2Singh, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi all
    The engine light came on today when driving back from work in my 2004 225 mk1 TT
    I have vcdslite and the blue kkl cable so I plugged it in to scan and it came back with these codes:

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
    Controller: 8N0 906 018 CG
    Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0005
    Coding: 10710
    Shop #: WSC 01236
    VCID: 78836BE34BCB
    TRUZZZ8N451001077 AUZ5Z0D4035053
    4 Faults Found:
    16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
    P0011 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    17963 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
    P1555 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
    16522 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
    P0138 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
    17584 - Bank1: O2 (Lambda) Correction Behind Catalyst: Control Limit Reached
    P1176 - 35-00 - -
    Readiness: 0000 0000
    --------------------

I checked the codes on the RossTech website and also asked around and was told to sort the 16395 fault code first as this could possibly clear the other codes
    However I cant seem to get the part number for the part I need. Is it the Camshaft Adjuster Unit?
    Its my daily driver for work so would like to have it sorted quick.
    The car was driving fine and didnt seem to have any problems though.

Any help appreciated [​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st thing is clear the codes, drive it and see what comes back. they could all be really old thats the thing. with the 1st code check the timing before you spend any money, also look at the cam chain & tensioner. if the oil servicing not been kept on top of the oil feed to tensioner can block andthe guides start to wear. you can buy just the guides on their own from ebay, once the tensioner is cleaned out then its often good as new once you do that

3. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks John!

I'll give it a check over.

How do I reset the codes in vcds-lite? I couldn't find anything when I did the scan...

4. rubjonny

Instead of doing an auto scan, click the top left button and click engine 01 to log into the ECU. From there you can check & clear codes, also look thru the sensor measuring blocks which is also useful

5. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks have cleared the codes and will see if anything pops up again. Thanks for your help :)

6. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Update - The light came on again this week and ran a scan to see the codes:

17963 - Charge pressue Maximum Limit Exceeded P1555 - Intermittent
    17584 - Bank 1 O2 Sensor Correction Behind Catalyst Control Limit Reached P1176
    16522 - O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Signal too High P0138 - Intermittent

These are what came up. Any suggestions on what I should fix? One of the O2 sensors? I believe there is two on the mk1 TT 225? Or what should I check first

Thank you in advance
    :)

7. rubjonny

8. Mk2Singh Forum Member

So the car runs fine, I havent seen any difference on how its running. Should I go ahead and change that one Lambda sensor? I can do the tests as mentioned in the link to read the values, but will I be able to do this in the Lite version of VCDS though?
    Is it the lambda sensor after the cat if starting from the engine? Any chance you have the part number?

thanks

9. rubjonny

I wouldnt spend any money yet, just have a good look over everything. with vcds-lite you can read measuring blocks up to a certain number, might be high enough for your needs.

the post cat lambda is the 4 wire one towards the rear end, pre-cat is a wideband 6 pin one. there are a fair few part numbers for the post cat lambda, 1K0998262A is current part number, 06a906262bb is the previous :)

10. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Cool will do the tests and read the figures
    Is there a specific way to initiate the tests? On that thread it doesnt seem very clear

11. rubjonny

Not sure if you can run any of the readiness tests with vcds-lite anyway, but you should be able to look at the measuring blocks mentioned in the 1st post to see if there is any obvious issues as I think 46 is still in the 'free' range

12. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay so tried these tests. The only one I could test was block 002 as the others I kept getting the message that said "VCDS lite needs to be registered and activated".
    The result for 002 was 3.11 g/s which I presume is okay according to that thread?

So I guess I cant check anything else?

13. rubjonny

ah ok, free blocks not as high as I remember!

what you can do is get a couple blocks up and log them while you're driving with vagcom. maf g/sec, boost actual vs requested and anything else that may be useful. then you export it to an excel spreadsheet and make some graphs out of it, this can be very useful for tracking intermittent faults

14. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay
    I could give that a go but how do I determine what the problem is from all the data collected?

While driving daily this week, Ive noticed a few flat spots while accelerating around 3k rpm ish. Could this mean its the MAF and not the O2 sensor?

Thanks

15. rubjonny

post it up and people more knowledgeable than me can comment :lol:

but if say the maf g/sec suddenly drops at some point in the rev range, or boost actual drops off towards peak vs requested this could point to an air leak for example.

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Post cat sensor (B1S2) is damaged.
    Hence the reason the bias is outside the limits and there signal being returned to the ECU is 'high'.
    Charge pressure sensor is hitting a maximum of 2550 mbar, so either your car is mapped or your connection to the N75 from the turbo has dropped off.

17. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Ah okay. So I could solve it by changing the post CAT sensor?
    I dont think the car is mapped, didnt see anything in the paper work I got when I bought the car earlier this year, But who knows
    Are you saying the physical connection from the N75 to the turbo has broken off? What should I be looking at/for around these components to verify this and how can I fix this?

18. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Or could it be the N75 is faulty and needs changing?

Confused on what I need to change now :S