Engine paint or Smooth Hammerite??

Discussion in 'Engines' started by foxyjay, Apr 21, 2011.

1. foxyjay Forum Member

I am going to paint my TSR block and possibly the head too, in my mk2.

Thing is, I don't want to hand paint it, nor do I want to jeff it up by not using the right paint.

I've used smooth Hammerite on brake calipers which must reach 200-300C easy!!? and it's been perfect.

Engine enamel is rated at around 150C I believe.

Forget the exhaust paint which is thin and for stuff that gets red hot!

Anyone got experience with the smooth Hammerite?

MTIA

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

I used "Granville Cylinder Black" on my last engine tart-up; brush painted but very thin and dries without leaving stroke marks.

I suspect that Hammerite could be a bit of a sh*t on account of it's viscosity; both in terms of tidy application and it's effects should it get anywhere that it shouldn't be..

3. foxyjay Forum Member

Hmmm ok, will investigate thx.

Was going to spray the smoothrite TBH.

4. Noo Noo Forum Member

I did one with the smooth brush on stuff. Wasn't actually that bad and I was pleasantly surprised. It's difficult to get into all the nooks and crannies mind. Finish wise is probably debatable if it's going to be show quality.

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I brush-painted a block ages ago and the finish was very smooth without visible brush marks. I can't remember what paint it was exactly, but it was bought from Frost and probably simply called "Engine Enamel" or similar.

I'm not a fan of Hammerite. Dunno why.

I'd be interested in what you finally do and the finish you get, as I'd like a decent show-quality finish next time I repaint the 16V G60 engine.

[​IMG]

I must admit it looks quite glossy and shows up the surfaces a little too well. A matt finish would be nice.

6. foxyjay Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smooth hammerite sprayed on seems to work well for a shiny black finish.

The silver hasn't quite got the same lustre (in fact it's very much a matte finish).

7. Golfamily7 Forum Member

I painted my block in smooth hammerite over 2 and a half years ago and it still looks sweet.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I used car plan engine lacquer in a tin, for the last couple. It goes on really nicely, and one coat seems to be enough. Prep is critical though.

I used gunk type degreaser, then a pressure washer and alloy wheel cleaner acid to make sure it's properly degreased, then I dried it with a heat gun to get the water out of the textured surface of the block, so I could get the paint on, let it dry a bit, and spray the inside of the block with WD40 before it started to rust.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Pic of the painted block: One coat brush painted on. Tried not to get any excess on the machined faces, but took it off with a scraper where I did, once it was dry but not fully cured.

I've done 2 blocks so far, out of the 250ml can, and there might be enough for another.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011