Engine removal

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk2 nas, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

For short journeys the watercooled (warmed?) one will be better. Autobahn's in mid summer the air cooled one
    Jon

2. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok the latest on why I thought there were differences on these engines is....
    After cleaning crap and surface rust of the block ive discovered an EV engine code so this is an 1800 me thinks.
    I've always from day of buying it thought it was a eg 1600 log book states it.and it started life with the eg
    This explains everything.ive never driven this car so don't know what it's like as the engine(the EV) is past it.
    But sounded sweet when revved(nice exhaust rasp)now I worry it's not gonna sound so good with a 1600 eg.in it.
    Will it sound similar.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it'll be just as good if not better with the 1.6, you will lose 2bhp and a bit of torque but gain much more revviness :)

4. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds great can't wait to get in and running.another question well actually two.

First can I put a water cooled oil cooler onto my 1600eg it looks like it could be done just a pipe short for the cooler.
    Secondly is the k jet the same injectors( sizes etc).whatever engine code eg.ev.dx etc.

The etc wasn't an engine code lol

5. rubjonny

yes it'll go no problems, you would just need to swap a couple hoses over from a later engine. and yes the injectors are the same as 1.8-2.0 8v and 16v, just remember you get coarse and fine thread versions, the 1.6 ones are coarse as are 1.8 16v. late 8v and 2.0 16v are fine thread, they still go if you change the lines to match :)

6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Just took injectors out of the 1.8 head.the holes look smaller in the 1.6 head.
    Just double checking.they don't look like they wanna go in.[:s]

7. rubjonny

the difference is the later 1.8 and 16v injectors are the air shrouded type, if you want to fit to early head you simply tug off the 'top hats' on the end of the injectors and they will be converted to early non-shrouded :)

8. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

I can see a difference in the injector port it's got an Allen key head in there. It is smaller on my eg.(is this an insert that needs
    Changing).i don't get it thought it was like for like.[:s]

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok I think I know the bit on the end of injector toward the tip.the metal ring with the rubber seal?
    Are you saying take this off.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  10. rubjonny

yeah pull the top hat thing with seal off :thumbup:

the inserts differ on the early/late as they need to be a different shape to allow for the air shrouded system. they're longer inside and have a vacuum tapping into the port poking out between injectors 3 and 4.

but pull the tip off the end of the late fuel injector and you convert it from late air-shrouded type to early non-shrouded type :)

mk2 nas likes this.
  11. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok thanks.your a big help.:thumbup:

12. rubjonny

welcome :)

13. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Back to my oil cooler(the water type)onto an eg I think I need a fat pipe with
    A T piece to make the second oil cooler connection.any ideas to what I'm looking to
    Buy.part number?

14. rubjonny

you need 2 hoses:
    068121058C metal pipe -> oil cooler & lower hose on waterpump
    027121096A oil cooler -> front flange

Also you need the later cabrio/mk2 golf metal front flange 027121133A, this one has 2 connections on it one from waterpump and the other for the oil cooler.

alternatively if you shop around you can find a hose that goes from the upper connection on waterpump & oil cooler to the front flange, but it may need some modification. mk3 golf best place to find them :)

15. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,how can I identify a four speed 020 gearbox from a five speed box.what codes do I need to look for thanks.

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

massively different. a five speeder is 3" longer. The passenger engine mount finishes flush with the four speed
    Jon

mk2 nas likes this.
  17. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok I wasn't sure as ive got a spare box.its same length so It must be a five.thanks

18. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Think four's are quite rare. A 4 speed GTI ratio would be my choice for an off road racer. Lighter see.........
    Jon

19. rubjonny

other visual difference is the 5s have a round press fit cover on the 5th gear housing, usually green. 4s have a rectangular plate on there held on with bolts

20. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Me again,engine almost ready to drop in.however ive replaced the friction plate .on mating the g/box back to the
    Block I thought I would just grab the clutch arm and give it a pull to my surprise the arm moves 2/3 of travel before
    Input shaft pushes on pressure plate.resulting in clutch arm only becoming active about 12-14mm before knocking against
    G/box mount.i thought this was a lot of travel.i did another test putting engine on its side gearbox facing up.took out securing bolts then pulled clutch arm. input shaft then pulls g/box away from block about 6-8mm.does this seem the right travel.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015