Engine removal

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk2 nas, Dec 6, 2015.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a look here: http://www.brokevw.com

he has all kinds of info and measurements for the 020 box and its release components :thumbup:

2. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for that. very detailed measurments showing everything I need to
    Know.just hope my measurments are the same.:thumbup:

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Arm deflection is a delta of 21mm at the cable to arm connection point, on my mate's std 1600 mk2 driver
    Jon

4. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok I've checked it(to brokevw)all out my measurments are about spot on.the only thing is on the diagram it's saying
    Clutch arm should start to feel resistance at 9 o,clock position (no further).mine does go a bit beyond this point
    Surely the only thing it can be is the t/o bearing(worn)or worn finger at contact.
    Is the bearing a simple process.

5. rubjonny

may be the pushrod is a little worn or the finger, or slight variation on the clutch kit vs oem. bearing is easy swap, pop the green cap off and there it is, a magnet helps getting the wee bugger out. a new green cap will probably be required though

6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok will swap it anyway they cheap enough.pushrod is good 340mm long very minimal wear.
    I will do all possible.but if it dosnt improve I think my bite point will just be a little lower than
    Should be.which means I will have to bury clutch into carpet on changes.lol

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

could also add a small spacer behind the bearing....
    Jon

8. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Great idea just something like coin thickness would do it.maybe the new bearing will be enough if the old one
    Has collapsed a bit.but a spacer is an option to get resistance a bit sooner.:thumbup:

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, should my 82x gli cabby have vdo gauges in it.i have the three holes for them on the
    Brown oe centre console.but I also have a brown plastic plate to cover these holes.
    Also I can't see where they would connect to.
    Would like these in really.

10. rubjonny

it would hvae had the option for gauges, but unless it was ordered with them you wont have any of the wiring or senders for them so this you'll have to add yourself to get them working

11. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok thanks may add them at a later date when ive nothing more to do.they not very high on priority list
    At the moment.i have had g/box end cover off today and replaced t/o bearing as previously mentioned
    Everything is good with g/box.but I still feel the arm has slight too much travel.im just gonna fit it,test
    Drive it and see.if I don't like it I may add a spacer to the back of bearing.to get better quicker release.

12. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,bit of a strange one this but bear with me ive installed my engine and gearbox but nothing is connected yet
    Apart from down pipe and driveshafts.i don't know weather it's in gear but I can't rotate my wheels with them off the ground
    Supposing it has got a gear selected I should be able to rotate wheels but with full foot force they won't turn.
    I don't want to go any further with it in case there's a problem in g/box.this is the gearbox I got with an engine purchased
    Not the one I removed.

13. rubjonny

even when its in gear you should be able to turn one of the wheels as the diff will allow this, unless its LSD of course

14. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

My mistake when I removed old engine the bearing assembly (inner cv)fell to bits bearings,cage
    Etc.
    I put it back together "as its in good condition "but somehow got it wrong and when bolted
    Up to gearbox coupling wouldn't turn.today I rebuilt it and it's fine
    It didn't really look like it was possible to get wrong.

15. rubjonny

thats a relief then, the alternative may have been expensive :lol:

16. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Yes it is.i was ready for changing the g/box but soon as I disconnected driveshafts the diff rotated in opposite
    Directions as I expected.soon realised my error.

And why is it reconnecting driveshafts( always in my experience )one falls short of the coupling and looks
    Like it's not long enough to re-attatch.

17. rubjonny

Its probably because with all the engine wiggling you do both the cvs get shoved outwards as far as they can go pushing the shaft to the shortest runnign length :)

18. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok, now I'm getting towards connecting a few final bits before cranking over this engine ive put in and hopefully it
    Will be a running engine with no real issues fingers crossed.but another question is when my last engine was in and
    Ignition was put into 2nd position on key but NOT turned over the cis was putting fuel through .although NOTstarted . The
    Engine was getting injector spray.i have mentioned this before I think but can't remember
    What to look at to stop this happening as I don't know much about k-jet but this isnt normal.is it ????

19. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Any ideas on my last post

20. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I don't know much about K-Jet either, but if the injectors are pressure controlled it could be that system pressure is rising too far when the pump is primed or the injectors are opening at a lower pressure threshold than they should.