Engine Stand on back of engine?.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by KeithMac, Nov 26, 2022.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello all, has anyone mounted an engine (Mk2 16kr or similar), from the the back to an engine stand?.

Was thinking making a jig to hang it from exhaust studs or similar?, I won't be taking head off.

I need to do transmission side crank seal along with plenty of other jobs so stand will be in the way from the side.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I've had a mk2 8v with the transmission attached, on an engine stand. Mounted the the various bosses on the rear of the block

KeithMac likes this.
  3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    KeithMac likes this.
  4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Looks nice that Gary, worth it if you are doing a lot of engines.

I'm sure I've got some 10mm plate left. Might have a go at knocking one up!.

GVK likes this.
  5. Adamss24 Forum Member

What’s wrong with setting the engine on a crane or even dropping it on a spare tire ? I have done many that way- never felt the need for a stand ! If anything a stand is mostly in the way pretty much every time and easy to knock off ! Only really used when fitting cranks or honing blocks and you just want to turn it quick to flush the filings off or or you want to take your time when fitting the pistons in the block !

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It's so much easier on your back, and easier to work on, especially when doing stuff like putting in pistons, or cleaning.

An engine sitting on a tyre is fine, until you have to drop the sump, and you have delicate stuff like oil pump pipes, windage trays etc exposed.

And the handiness of being able to wheel it away.
    And a lot more stable than swinging on a crane.

KeithMac and Adamss24 like this.
  7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Sump is coming off for painting/ repair.

For a quick clutch change I would leave it hanging off a crane but I've got the block to clean and all the seals to replace so don't want it swinging about.