Euro 6 engine / Electric / Fuel-cell for Mk1 Golf ?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by SwervinMervin, Apr 2, 2020.

1. SwervinMervin Forum Member

With the relentless march towards ever tighter emissions regulations I am considering transplanting a euro 6 engine into a mk1, but I was wondering if anyone had already done this and which engine they used ?
    Going further, there is talk of a kit being developed (or ready for purchase ?) to convert ICE vehicles to electric, so is anyone interested in that ? Lastly, how about a hydrogen fuel-cell powered Mk1 ? Has anyone created one please ?

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

As an electric car owner of 4 years I’d really like to do a conversion one day but I have three cars to get running first [8(][8(][8(]

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Eu6 engines, are from production models first produced after 2013.
    That would be EA211, and EA288 and EA888 gen 3 engines.
    Not something, I have done myself, as there is no incentive to do so and the older engines, provide more than enough attributes to not warrant the hassle.

4. SwervinMervin Forum Member

The incentive, as I see it, will be being able to drive into (or through) various town centres (especially in Europe - most French cities of a decent size now require a crit'air sticker, i.e. an enviro 'vignette', with no workarounds) since currently one can pay for the privilege like the UK in some places, but before long there will just be a fine, with no pre or post payment options.

5. SwervinMervin Forum Member

I'd be interested to know what the drop-off (in terms of miles), over the period of your ownership, the battery is showing please ?
    Have you priced up a replacement battery by any chance ?

6. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

my battery has dropped from 228 to 218 miles stated range in 4 years and 45000 miles

7. SwervinMervin Forum Member

Sounds good.
    That's a panasonic battery in the S, isn't it ?