Evening All - Looking for some pointers for my Anni 2003 MK4 GTI 180 break

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Moogue, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Moogue New Member

Hey Everyone,

I am the happy owner (3yrs now) of a standard VW Golf GTI 1.8, 6 speed, 180bhp anniversary edition (it is also an import)...absolutely nothing had been done (to my knowledge) to it with regards to any mods, however, now that it has passed 100K I have some niggles appearing.

Ideally I would like to start making some engine and exhaust mods to it including a final re-map once all other bits have been done....cosmetically all I am planning on doing is having the OEM wheels refurbished (monday) in gloss black. and possibly a light tint on the windows.. there are medical reasons for this as I am hypersensitive to light, possibly a new set of lights and a re-spray.....and maybe..just maybe a sunroof?!????

So the big question... what can I "DO" to the engine, Exhaust system, braking system to get as much out of a re-map as possible? are there any Mk4 build links I could look at?

I am not scared of getting my hands dirty and have access to a full 4 point lift..but before I get to that point....what do I do, in what order and with what parts...what should I check rust wise etc et etc???

I am totally green when it comes to mods and 3 letter acronyms so please be gentle with me.and in the meantime - here's to german engineering!

Keep Smiling

Fliss;):idea:;)

2. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Cheap and easy mods for your car are plentiful, it's all about how much you want to spend
    Replace the turbo inlet pipe (TIP) for a new FORGE Motorsport item, instant Gee Gee's for not a lot of cash
    Replace standard air filter with a quality panel filter from someone like piper cross
    Or junk the airbox and fit a quality filter with a cold air induction kit
    I'm not sure on exact gains for all of these but get the engine breathing better and you can't go wrong
    Next up Maybe a better exhaust , but a decent one with either a sports cat or cat removal (mot issues ensue) will cost quite a few quid
    Remap is another cheap gains , your engine has a Ko3s turbo and will be mappable to over 200hp with the right person doing it
    Also a FRONT MOUNTED INTERCOOLER (FMIC) will give you some gains for not much either
    Before you do anything check all the rubber pipes that connect to the engine around the turbo and under the intake manifold, these cars have a history of the pipes splitting and losing boost from them get them replaced with original or upgraded silicone pipes and put a stop to boost leaks
    Put this all together and your car starts being pretty rapid ....then you need to get some R32 brakes to stop it all !!

Good luck, hope this helps
    Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014