Fecking stumped! (1990 8v Gti)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by TheSecondComing, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Golden Forum Junkie

And companies wonder why you want to fit 'em yourself! [:x]

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It was an odd one - some of the connections were well soldered and insulated, others were scotchloked!Just retrieved the immobiliser box from the corner of the garage and carefully opened it's riveted sheet steel casing with my 14" machete (far quicker on rivet heads than a drill bit :lol: ). Nothing obviously wrong with it inside, no dry joints or broken tracks. But we'll see.....

3. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Set fire to it! [:D]

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If it turns out to be the culprit, it's going to meet it's death in an "explosive" fashion..... ;)

5. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Small arms nitro compound..... ;)

7. Golden Forum Junkie

TSC have you got a video camera, I'd like to see the destruction!

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I'll have to borrow my mates one.... presuming that the immobiliser was the fault of course. Otherwise I'll probably apologise to it.

9. The Pig Forum Member

Just skim-read this entry as there is loads of replies so might have missed the bleedin' obvious. Have you checked the engine / gearbox earth connections for security, cleanliness etc ?

Let us know what fixes it but you have my sympathy - this is the wrong time of year for this sh1t !

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Yup, all the earths are sound and clean..... as soon as I get a chance to solder the loom back together I'll know more..... Cheers!

11. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

Good luck and yes...mine was runing for a few secondsa and then cutting out. Also maybe someone has tried to tamper witht the alarm in the past thats maybe why there are blocks used..perhaps it was a repairby the previous owner? (unless you had it fitted yourself?)

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Sounds promising - I need to get it running ASAP now because I wrote off my spare car (old fiesta) on the way home tonight, and the other flame-throwing spare golf isn't quite legal. I'm up in court at the end of the month and could do without any more convictions before I appear before her Maj's representative...... Taking the day off work tomorrow because I'm still pissing blood 3 hours after the crash, and look like I've just had major brain surgery. So I might get it wired back up then.....
    Edited by: TheSecondComing

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Oh aye, I didn't have it fitted myself - it's a pretty old immobiliser (from the first days of thatcham I think) which was on it when I got it cheap at auction. There's 2 relays inside it, one for the starter cut and one for fuel - I'm hoping the fuel one was the problem! Cheers for the info, gives me more incentive to find my soldering iron...... :lol:

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Oh bollocks. Soldered up the loom today and still no change. It still dies out after a few seconds. Doesn't seem to matter whether I hold it at 4k rpm or let it idle, it dies after about the same time. While it's running it sounds perfectly healthy and normal. So for anyone who can't be arsed to read the whole thread, I've ruled out by swapping with another running car (or known good spares) :

Fuel pump (both), fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator. Now running a known good BMW pump straight from a container of petrol to the fuel rail/FPR.
    ECU, ignition amplifier, coil, dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs, ht leads, blue temp sender, cleaned and checked all earth connections. Battery, starter and alternator are fine.
    Tried wiring +ve side of coil straight to +ve battery terminal - no difference.
    Checked for vacuum leaks everywhere.
    Removed immobiliser altogether.
    Cam timing is fine.
    Ignition timing (set statically so the rotor points to the mark on dizzy body at #1 TDC- it won't run long enough to get the strobe on it).
    Bypassed ECU and Fuel pump relays - no change.

Any ideas? I think my brain is empty........
    [xx(]

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Is there anything on that engine purely for starting, ie for the first few secs of running?

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That's what I was trying to think of, but no - no cold start injector or anything. Unless the Digi ECU does something other than cold start enrichment automatically. But I've tried another ECU as well, with no joy......

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

Well it can only really be an electrical fault with the wiring, get out there and continuity check every wire on the car.

Should keep ya busy this weekend :lol: :lol:

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Lol.... I can't see how a broken wire would cause it to die after a few seconds though. I mean it runs 100%, when it does run! I might try swapping over the dizzy in case it's some bizarre fault with the hall sender....

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

can you monitor voltage at certain points like the coil/ign switch and see if the voltage goes when it dies

have you thought of one of them emergency ign sytems breakdown places use?? not sure how much they are

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

There's still 12v at the coil when it dies, no prob there. I'll try swapping over the ign switch as well tomorrow, if only because it's about the only other thing I haven't tried! :lol:
    I think those systems are fuel computers, aren't they? Not sure - probably megabucks anyway......