Fecking stumped! (1990 8v Gti)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by TheSecondComing, Jan 17, 2004.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

naa its like a coil and stuff you wire direct to the batt..i spose it bypasses imobilser and the ign switch
    prob a bit pricey for a one off job

have you checked for voltage at the pump when it dies..will it restart after it dies or what

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Aye, I took the pump out altogether, it was what I thought was wrong in the first place. Then I took the pump out of the scabby 530i BMW, which is an "all in-tank" arrangement - running it straight from a battery, dunked in a saucepan full of petrol, with 2 lengths of new fuel hose going straight to the fuel rail for feed/return. So I know it can't be the pump, filter or lines. Like I say, I'm fucking stumped! If swapping the Ign. switch and dizzy tomorrow don't work I think I've exhausted every possible reason I can think of why it won't run. I have a few Digi2 looms lying around, I suppose I could swap the whole loom. But I had been intending to convert it to a Digi 1 system anyway, which is more "self-contained". I have the Digi 1 ECU and everything I need to do it, but I'd really like to get it running on the original management before I start converting over.....

3. Mikey Forum Member

Perhaps try another fusebox? Could be a dodgy connection inside?

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Checked the whole fusebox - all OK. The thing that has me beat is that it starts on the button, runs fine for a few seconds, then dies. Never seen anything like it before, and I've had a billion Mk2 Digi golfs.

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

so how easy does it start after it dies??

try running the fuel pump of a seperate 12v supply,like direct to the batt through a switch

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's already running straight from the battery, through a set of jump leads! After it dies, it'll start up again straight off, absolutely on the button. Then die again after a few seconds. If I hold the starter on, it'll fire up, run fine for a few seconds (overspeeding the starter) and then die, but every 2 or 3 seconds it'll fire a couple of times - but not actually start, unless I turn it off and start it from fresh.

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

hmmm does the digi's have them extra wires to the starter?? i know k jets have em,although im not sure what they do??
    must be driving you nuts lol

is the earths all ok..i know that's kill a digi ecu easily(ask me how i know)

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Did the earths first, and the ECU is good - (tried it on my other one). Not sure about extra wires to the starter.....
    And yup, It's driving me round the fucking bend! :lol: [:x]

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Aye, I was thinking of trying the Vortex - Honest John is a daft cunt though, are his forum users any better? Problem with the vortex is
    #1 I'm banned for life
    #2 Their cars always have o2 sensors so I think things are a bit different.......

New thread might be a good idea... I'll try a couple of things tomorrow and see what happens, then report back!

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

e mail me something to copy n paste and i'll post on vortex for ya if its a prob

theres a few decent guys on honest johns forum

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nice one, ta PB. I'll write something out tomorrow and mail it along.... :thumbup:

13. Golden Forum Junkie

Hello my favourite religeous icon.

I have given this some more thought and I think it could well be the ignition switch. As I remeber digifant has a run and a cranking signal. Under cranking it doubles the duty cycle of the injectors. It may be that this is giving enough fuel for it to run for a few seconds but for some reason it's not running in the "run" position.

14. 800gallons Forum Member

cranking signal wire, is the red/green

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

propper guessing game this one :p
    im guessing hall sender,
    Edited by: riley

16. pigbladder Forum Addict

i was thinking like golden...it sounds like theres a cranking/start up signal of somekind maybe to ecu..that then looks for voltage to ensure its started and then switches over to running mode...does digi 1 and 2 have much in common?? i know some peeps that are whizz bang on g60's

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Aha! In that case I'll swap the ign. switch before I try the dizzy - I didn't realise there was a different duty cycle in the "crank" position...... seems sensible now that you mention it. I was reading in one of the Bosch reference manuals last night that a lot of the "flapper-meter" type systems adjust the timing for the first four seconds of running, so it would seem about right that they would adjust fuelling as well.....

18. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

MY GOD this is getting me angry now...goddamn silly car LOL....Hope you have some luck mate. Sorry the imobiliser thing didnt work for ya

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Lol.... cheers!
    Just swapped the dizzy AND the ignition switch, still no change.......
    I can't actually think of anything else to try, it might be time to put in a new engine loom and see if that changes anything......

20. Golden Forum Junkie