First motorway drive

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Buggirl, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Buggirl

Buggirl Forum Member

So I drove to Shrewsbury and back for work on Monday/Tuesday and I must say that the drive was awesome, although fuel consumption was not so good! Having owned Bluemotion VW Diesels (golf and Tiguans) for the last 6 years, I wrongly assumed that a good run on the motorway at an average speed would give a higher return of MPG. I averaged 31 MPG!! Anyone any tips on getting a better return? I am currently filling the car up once a week at 45 a time!

2. RobGTi New Member

I have recently took delivery of my Polo GTI DSG. First motorway run from Woking to Birmingham (approx 140 miles) i averaged 38.5 mpg. I have taken the spare out the boot thats about the only thing I have done. Is yours manual and did you use the M54 as I'm pretty local to Shrewsbury.

3. JTechPerformance Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Thats pretty bad, I can average 38mpg from my 2.0L Turbo Renault. - Thats on working it out, not using the trip computer which is bloody accurate in fairness!

Check your tyre pressures, as it makes a pretty huge difference in my experience!

4. Marty's Dub Forum Member

I'm a mug that uses Dipetane, which is 'not an additive'. A hydrocarbon that is added to your fuel. 1x 1litre bottle will treat 200 litres of any fuel, be it petrol, diesel or kerosene. Here's a link https://www.dipetane.com/ there is a video explaning 'how it works' also plenty of testimonials. There is plenty of info about it if you do a bit of research. There will also be the naysayers. I've been using it for years and I can say, it does work. My 99 Arosa just did a round trip of 90mls on less than 5 litres of fuel. It is the only 'additive (non)' I use.

Upping your tyre pressure like said above will also help considerably.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  5. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

re-map. We offer a 'blue' map, not designed to increase power but fuel economy. Most customer see a 5-10% increase in mpg, worth looking for a local mapping company to see what they can offer

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Who's "we", Dan?

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

We use quantum tuning maps.

8. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Its the Royal we.

Dan's official title is His Royal Highness Prince DanW heir to throne of Cornwall.

So show some feckin respect in future please or you'll be executed next time you're in Cornwalland, its a most unpleasant death, as I understand it you're force fed clotted cream & pasties until you choke or explode.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Trev16v likes this.
  9. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Gaz, you're a legend.

10. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Huh?

You mean I'm very old & some daft fecker made me up?

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

depends on how you drive sometimes
    i've had 34 mpg driving 30 or 40 miles on the dual carriageway in the 4motion sometimes more
    yet on the return i can get 20 or less

have you got cruise control ?

12. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Um, excuse me, I'm trying to take this off topic :(

13. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yes as a matter of fact I think you are completely fake. Long have I faithfully believed that Gaz37 really did exist inside my internets, but I've a strong suspicion you're just some real bloke writing these posts. Scam. :thumbd:

14. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Dammit you rumbled me, the real Gaz took the red pill & escaped the matrix, I'm actually a sentinal impersonating him.

15. Buggirl

Buggirl Forum Member

Further to this post, I thought I would add that I have used the Think Blue trainer and managed to cut down a bit on fuel consumption.......not as fun though!