Fm gearbox driveshafts size

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by Pete17, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Pete17 New Member

Hi... first post here...
    I have a mk2 scirocco scala since a few years and have a 2.0 8v (3a conversion) and am putting my spare box on it which is a fm code. My existing 4+e is worn out and needing work....
    So the fm box has 90mm cups where as i have 100mm shafts. I have found that the 100mm cups dont fit in the nearside of gearbox. It fouls the casing.
    So.... what can my options be?
    Can i fit a 90mm inner joint to my existing 100mm shafts? Or should i just buy 90mm shafts but will they fit the hubs?
    Any help here would be great.
    Cheers pete.

2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I can't see that 90mm inner CVs will fit 100mm driveshafts - simply because 100mm inner CVs don't fit 90mm driveshafts.

90mm driveshafts will have the same outer CVs as 100mm driveshafts - as long as they're from a B reg car onwards - so will fit your hubs (even older 90mm driveshafts can take the later outer CVs)

*are you sure you have 100mm shafts already? The 4+E was a 90mm gearbox as far as I know.

3. Pete17 New Member

Ok... perhaps i'm getting confused with the sizes.
    I just guessed that the shafts would be 100mm as the inner cv was bigger than the cups on the box so would not fit.
    This is why i removed the existing smaller cups and fitted the bigger set to suit my shafts.
    Maybe get some pics tomorrow?
    Thanks for the reply mr.brown.

4. mr.brown

It's entirely possible that someone swapped out the cups on your current gearbox to 100mm - but unlikely..

What is the base car? 1.8 carb or injection?
    And how do you know the current gearbox is a 4+E - I'm sure that gearbox was only on 1.6 carbed cars. Do you know the code?

5. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

90mm cv's fit 100mm shafts and vice versa.

90mm flanges will fit 100mm boxes....but 100mm flanges won't fit 90mm boxes.

Fit the 90mm CV's to the 100mm shafts and use the FM box.

The FM box is the closest ratio set that VW produced, was originally on the 1600gti. Be aware though that its also got a fairly low FD, be quick but a bit buzzy for motorway work.

If the car is a keeper, I'd get Martin at Gasngears to rebuild it, if its in good nick won't cost a fortune.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

100mm inner cv dont fit 90mm shafts, they are thicker. also the 90mm shafts are a bit longer because the 90mm flanges dont poke out quite so much. The easiest option is 90mm shafts, they can come from any age mk1/cab/rocco will swap straight over no problem.

your 100mm shafts are quite desirable, but if I were you I'd keep them just in case you need to change the box again in the future

7. Pete17 New Member

Ok.. made some progress this morning.
    Car is an injection and previous owner fitted the 4+e box for economy. It has the code 4T on the bellhousing.
    I dont do motorway driving just backroad stuff and weekends really so fm box should be fine.
    So this morning i went to my local factors and for 24quid got a inner joint to suit the smaller 90 cup on the nearside. The bigger 100mm? cup fits in the offside fine.so dont need to change anything there. Only thing is i have two different size cups... dont really think it matters much though.
    Dont have photobucket account so not sure on uploading pics.
    Thanks for the replies.

8. Pete17 New Member

Also just remembered to say that there does not seem to be that much difference in the length of the 2 different size flanges so i think with the slack in the shafts it should be ok?????

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

10. mr.brown

I don't think the 90mm inner CV you have will fit on your 100mm driveshaft.
    Don't bother with Photobucket, Imgur is much easier to use.

11. Pete17 New Member

Thanks mr.brown. how do i show you the pics then. I have signed up on imgur.
    User pete17man
    Good info on that link rubjonny, thanks

12. mr.brown

Click on your username. then Images - use the green "Add Images" button to upload images from your computer.

Once uploaded, click on the picture and a series of links with "COPY" next to them will appear - like in the picture below. Click on the COPY button next to the "BBCode" link - you then paste it directly into a post.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. Pete17 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully these links will work.

14. Pete17 New Member

Few more pics. So I have fitted the nice new inner joint on the short shaft to suit the 90mm flange( as shown in pics ). But on the long shaft I have fitted a bigger 100mm flange to suit my old shaft and according to rubjonny's link I may have problems with the driveshaft seal? I now have the engine back in the car with this shaft arrangement so I will see how I get on, unless someone can steer me right. thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The link that rubjonny supplied is from the US, which is pretty good but is limited on the the variations of gearboxes here in Europe due to the many low power variants of cars produced here.

Racer TonyB suggested that you give 'Gas n Gears' a shout.
    The owner is known as Hotgolf on here. I can personally vouch, what he does not know about a VW gearbox is not worth knowing. He is my #1 point of knowledge when it comes to VW gearboxes.
    Have a chat with him to clear up any confusion. He is very understanding.